Diff noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff noise

On cold mornings I hear a metallic screching noise that changes pitch according to speed. To me it sounds like it's at the RR corner. After I get to the end of my road and come to a complete stop it goes away until the next cold morning. In warm weather it doesn't happen at all.

It's definitely not a dragging brake. It doesn't seem to be a wheel bearing. My dad listened to it and said it sounded like a diff, but he didn't think cold weather would make a difference.

Has anybody experienced anything similar?
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Jack the car up on all 4 corners and fire it up and put it in gear. Use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver and stick it on the diffhousing and see if that's where the noise is coming from. Diff noises usually stick around, they don't care if they've come to a stop or not so I'm betting brake drag. I suppose it could be something very strange with the spidergears though...the above is the easiest way to find out.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Thanks. I'll do that as soon as I can.

I don't think it's brake drag because if I step on the pedal or pull the e-brake it doesn't change at all. I know it's not exactly hard conclusive evidence, but it should sound different, right?

Also I've put other calipers on and adjusted e-brake cables more than once. None of that has made any difference either.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Comment

It could still be a dragging caliper, if one of 'em's jammed up. I had one fool me for a while, sounds like brake drag but no change using brakes, the piston simply wasn't moving in either direction under at least moderate pedal pressure. Wotta PITA....
        But I 'm guessing you have some manner of diff problem, though what it is I have no idea.
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I get diff noise on really cold days first starting out. it goes away after about 5-10 minutes of driving, after the gear lube has had time to heat up and move around.

I just went through a bout of trying to track down a noise, and for me it was a wheel bearing.

--Jorden

Comment

Well I guess I'll have to open it up. The oil needs changing anyway. Hopefully I find out what it is in the process.
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Working...
            X