Ignition woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition woes

what plugs are you guys running on the bpt b6t? on my b6t im running a copper 1 step colder autolite plug ( i cant rember the part number off hand). The problem im having is the igntion does not like boost past 14psi and it is blowing the spark out, my current set up is a meqsquirt with a blaster 2 coil, one thing that helped is we increased the dwell time with the megasquirt, i cant rember what its set at now but does anyone know how long the dwell should be with a blaster 2 coil? i have the plugs gapped at.020 which isnt much, i treid playing with .025 but it made things worse. I was hoping to ditch the dizzy set up and go COP but i dont have all the money at the moment. i was thinking about addind a MSD SCI capacitive ignition box to help with the weak spark and allow me to open the gap a little more so i can run smre more boost. I believe someone is running a sci on here, i cant remember who. Any thoughts on upgrading the stock igniton to help out the problem?

Weird, I've always gapped my plugs to 0.9mm or .035in. I've been using NGK BCPR7ES-11 plugs since I've had the car.

Comment

yeah, that!
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

WTF, whats your set up? i found the proper dwell time, when it gets a little warmer ill veryify the dwell. are you guys running stock coil? what brand cap and rotor are you guys using? i cant find one locally with the brass inserts, does anyone know which brands have the brass contacts?

Comment

Get rid of the Autolite plugs, Mazdas run best on NGK or Denso plugs.
          I tried Autolite XP's set at .030 in my car and it ran like total crap, put NGK Iridium's in and it runs great set at .070!
          Any NGK is better than Autolite in Mazda's. I like Autolite's, for domestic cars only.
          Just my $.02. Good luck!
          94 pro base model, all synthetic fluids, s/r struts, front & rear ebay upper strut bars,front & rear tie bar, ZX2 1" front swaybar, EGT 21mm rear sway bar, custom delrin endlinks front & rear, custom delrin rear swaybar mount bushings, EBC front blanks & redstuff pads, CS ss brake lines & dot 4 fluid, big drum brakes in rear (from ZX2, free parts), 2.25 custom exaust w/magnaflo oval muffler, 4-wire o2 sensor, custom ram-air, 4-wire BP tb, MSD super conducter plug wires, MSD Blaster SS coil, NGK iridiums,OEM weighted shift knob, ebay short shifter, bronzoil bushings, CS ss clutch line, custom air splitter, mx-3 recaro drivers seat, EGT foglight switch, 35w 5000k hi/lo hid's

soon:
          lightened flywheel & clutch; in garage,
          Miata Daisy's; after new tires

Comment

NGK or bust

Comment

i used the iridums that ryan fe323 recomended, you could not gap them though, they have a platinum electrode and are pregapped, i ran them and the car ran worse

Comment

Mine are Iridium, no platinum. They're pregapped to, not recomended to regap, but I do very carefully.
                94 pro base model, all synthetic fluids, s/r struts, front & rear ebay upper strut bars,front & rear tie bar, ZX2 1" front swaybar, EGT 21mm rear sway bar, custom delrin endlinks front & rear, custom delrin rear swaybar mount bushings, EBC front blanks & redstuff pads, CS ss brake lines & dot 4 fluid, big drum brakes in rear (from ZX2, free parts), 2.25 custom exaust w/magnaflo oval muffler, 4-wire o2 sensor, custom ram-air, 4-wire BP tb, MSD super conducter plug wires, MSD Blaster SS coil, NGK iridiums,OEM weighted shift knob, ebay short shifter, bronzoil bushings, CS ss clutch line, custom air splitter, mx-3 recaro drivers seat, EGT foglight switch, 35w 5000k hi/lo hid's

soon:
                lightened flywheel & clutch; in garage,
                Miata Daisy's; after new tires

Comment

maybE it was a irdidium tip, it was a small needle like tip, i would be affraid to bend/break the tip

Comment

We were having similar breakup issues with the blue 323, we regapped the iridiums (carefully bend the ground and be care when using the feeler guages!) Down to .25. It ran great till winter so then we added the blaster2 coil (dwell in ms set to 34 seems to run well) and now it pulls no issue again.
                    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
                    X