miata pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

miata pistons?

I heard about someone putting miata pistons in thier 1g? Are the pistons even the same bore?
    94' Mazda Protege'... trying to return it to former glory.

aim: zep867

94 or 96+ they are. The 1.8 miatas have essesntially the same motor, 99+ they get a little more complicated.
    00 dakota 4x4
    90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

so whats the point of pulling pistons from the same motor? Are they dome topped for higher compression? Why not just pull the pistons from another old pro'?

Comment

Originally posted by websurfer970
        so whats the point of pulling pistons from the same motor? Are they dome topped for higher compression? Why not just pull the pistons from another old pro'?
        slow down there buddy.... the pistons form a 1.8L miata have the same bore, **** the blocks are the same, thus the similiar bore. the compression comes from the size of the piston, and their shape.

yes they fit, yes they will yield higher compression. no they are not the same as the ones found in a protege. the block may be the same but everything else is different between the 2. the head, HLA's, intake, exaust, cams, ECU... ect
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

The intake cam is interchangable and should yield some gains if it's swapped over to a 1st gen Protege.
          -------------------------
          '91 LX
          '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
          well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
            The intake cam is interchangable and should yield some gains if it's swapped over to a 1st gen Protege.
            yes it to can be swapped but it is not the same as a cam found in a bp05 head

So his engine he goosed

Comment

I said that it was interchangable........ I know that they are not the same. I mean, if they were, there would be no gains when they are swapped.
              '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

ahh yes sorry i misread the post.... my bad. and from what i hear the miata intake cam swap is a very good mod

So his engine he goosed

Comment

visit www.miata.net and read up on the BP .. just make sure you think before asking Q's over there

Jesse told me this
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                    ahh yes sorry i misread the post.... my bad. and from what i hear the miata intake cam swap is a very good mod
                    Even better would be the 99+ I/E cams with Solid lifters. I'd planned on doing this a month or so ago, but some stuff came up and I had to spend my money on other things.
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

with the piston swap, youd also need the same valve springs as the miata also right? or would the tension in the springs of the 1.8 pro be the same
                      Are there any "how-to's" on the miata intake cam job?
                      '93 protege DX 5 spd.

yo mammy

Comment

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
                        with the piston swap, youd also need the same valve springs as the miata also right? or would the tension in the springs of the 1.8 pro be the same
                        Are there any "how-to's" on the miata intake cam job?
                        No, you wouldn't need the valve springs for a piston swap. As far as I know there aren't any how to's yet.
                        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                          I've heard that it supposedly gives around 5hp, which isn't that bad at all. If I don't go turbo in the near future, I am definately doing this mod.
                          '91 LX

Comment

Im so glad I sparked such an interest in an intake cam swap especially since the thread was started about pistons..lol

Comment

the pre 99 miata intake cam IS an improvement, but a small one.
                              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                              -93 MR2, 129 ES
                              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                              X