crank pulley moving around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crank pulley moving around

i have a b6t single v belt crank pulley on my BP+T and the timing marks keep moving around(outer pulley spinning on the inner part that bolts to the crank) i was planning on machining a one piece aluminum pully but i thought i saw somewhere that a solid pulley will ruin the oil pump. whats a good plan of action?
    i know its a piece of crap... but im still faster...

You need a new harmonic balancer/damper.

I'd say check your local junkyards.

I've read running non-dampened crank pulley can destroy main/rod bearings, shatter oil pump gears, etc - but I have nothing to back that for the Bseries though.

But for me personally I will not risk it, UDP or AL crank pulley doesnt seem worth it

-Rocket
    1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
    1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
    www.werbatfik.com

Comment

i already got another one. but i think its just gonna do the same thing. ill called the auto part stores and theyre no longer available and the dealer wants $206.25!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by fastivab6tg25mr; 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

You're risking a broken crank nose if the timing marks are moving around for pretty much any reason...
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

The timing notch is on the Vbelt pulley, if the damper fails it'll spin around but the actual timing is unaffected
          1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
          1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
          www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Originally posted by fastivab6tg25mr View Post
            i have a b6t single v belt crank pulley on my BP+T and the timing marks keep moving around(outer pulley spinning on the inner part that bolts to the crank) i was planning on machining a one piece aluminum pully but i thought i saw somewhere that a solid pulley will ruin the oil pump. whats a good plan of action?
            Would it work to machine a two piece with a gap to fill with a softer polyurathane, have it balanced, and you have a light weight, custom, balancer with the pulley you need built in.
            94 pro base model, all synthetic fluids, s/r struts, front & rear ebay upper strut bars,front & rear tie bar, ZX2 1" front swaybar, EGT 21mm rear sway bar, custom delrin endlinks front & rear, custom delrin rear swaybar mount bushings, EBC front blanks & redstuff pads, CS ss brake lines & dot 4 fluid, big drum brakes in rear (from ZX2, free parts), 2.25 custom exaust w/magnaflo oval muffler, 4-wire o2 sensor, custom ram-air, 4-wire BP tb, MSD super conducter plug wires, MSD Blaster SS coil, NGK iridiums,OEM weighted shift knob, ebay short shifter, bronzoil bushings, CS ss clutch line, custom air splitter, mx-3 recaro drivers seat, EGT foglight switch, 35w 5000k hi/lo hid's

soon:
            lightened flywheel & clutch; in garage,
            Miata Daisy's; after new tires

Comment

Lotta trouble for pulley though.It'll look cool for awhile i guess.

Comment

its just a pain to have to remake timing marks every time i check ignition timing

Comment

Originally posted by fastivab6tg25mr View Post
                  its just a pain to have to remake timing marks every time i check ignition timing
                  So will a non dampened pulley destroy the oil pump?

I have a big nose b6t That I'm about to drop in but I needed a crank pulley. So i just picked up a v belt pulley from a friend( which is what I need ) but it's not dampened, there was a dampened one there that I wanted to use but was told that it's not needed.

Thoughts ? Discuss
                  _Shocker_ 88 Festiva B6T

Comment

yes, an undamped pulley will kill the oil pump. Oh yes it will...
                    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
                    X