323 GTX Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323 GTX Engine Swap

Hey guys, so I own a Mazda 323 GTX and I'm looking to swap the engine. The previous owner mention a Mazda Familia GTR 1.8L Turbo engine that came in the Japan version of the 323, but I don't know much about that engine. I was looking if anyone can help me decide what engine I should go with.

Thanks

Hey Joey,did you score Steve's (G.T.R.) car?

Comment

Yeah I did.

Comment

If you can get the trans with that engine, that's the one to get. It ain't real easy swapping it into a BF chassis but it can be done...
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Yeah I was planning on getting it complete with the engine, transmission, harness, and rear sub frame and everything else I need.

Also I would need a lsd diff in the back right?

And I have a few questions;

- Did anyone see the KIA engines that people are putting in the car?
          - Are they worth getting?

- What's a Mazda GT-R ?
          - Is it the same as a GTX just the GTR engine swap?

- How do they make the car RWD because I've seen some on YouTube.
          - Do they just disconnect the Front components?

- Are the 323's that they make in Japan different?
          - Or is that just the engine that I'm looking to buy.

Also I've read up that the Transmissions are weak on the car so what's a good solution for that?

Comment

Joey do some searching on this site,323 gtx yahoo,ford laser...I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself.What happen to the motor in it?That was one of mine, it ran like a dirty stinky sewing machine.The trannys are fine man,if you wanna burnout YOU WILL PAY!If you don't work on it yourself you will not be happy, mech. usually have no clue about the car and don't care to. Good Luck.

Comment

OK, short version:

Also I would need a lsd diff in the back right? --No, the one you have will do, final drive ratios are the same but once you're in the 300 hp range it becomes a really good idea especially in the rain.

And I have a few questions;

- Did anyone see the KIA engines that people are putting in the car?
              - Are they worth getting? --No.

- What's a Mazda GT-R ? -Rare cool car not imported to the US. Rally homologation special.
              - Is it the same as a GTX just the GTR engine swap?--No.

- How do they make the car RWD because I've seen some on YouTube. -- Different drivetrain.
              - Do they just disconnect the Front components? --No. Doing that is instant trans death.

- Are the 323's that they make in Japan different? -- Only a little.
              - Or is that just the engine that I'm looking to buy. GTR mill is different in several ways, which can indeed be researched, like say frinstance

Also I've read up that the Transmissions are weak on the car so what's a good solution for that? -- There isn't one. Don't launch, shift with care, use synthetic gearlube and change it fairly often. Doing anything else is folly and will cost big big bucks and involves lots and lots of advanced gearheadedness, a full shop with a lift, more cuss words than you know, and more time than you have.
              Last edited by jay; 02-01-2011, 11:50 PM.
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

Thank-you so much for this response.

So I wont touch the lsd diff until I reach close to 300hp then.

And it seems to me like the Mazda 323 GTR has the engine I'm looking for correct?

Comment

Originally posted by nickz View Post
                  Joey do some searching on this site,323 gtx yahoo,ford laser...I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself.What happen to the motor in it?That was one of mine, it ran like a dirty stinky sewing machine.The trannys are fine man,if you wanna burnout YOU WILL PAY!If you don't work on it yourself you will not be happy, mech. usually have no clue about the car and don't care to. Good Luck.
                  The engine that's in it is a great engine don't get me wrong but I like to go into a project with a game plan and have a good idea as to what I want done on the car. I was taking to Steve and he said I can run 14psi on it all day long, and with a good tune it could run low 14's - high 13's. But in the future I'm looking for that 10 second pass every time. That's why I'm looking into the different engine.

But you know as well as I do what this car can do, and how much work it needs done to it so it's not going to happen overnight. But I guarantee one day it will fly! And do what I want it to do ( Hopefully )

Also I would like to get together with you and Steve and a few more buddies in the summer or something and go for a drive just to have fun and showoff if that's alright with you guys.

Comment

Uh, 10 seconds on a GTR drivetrain isn't gonna happen more than once or twice. THere's a huge amount of barrier tween 12-13 sec and 10... see above about the gearbox. You want a 10 second AWD drag car, you better look elsewhere, and spend a great deal of money getting it there. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's gonna be hellacious expensive to get a GTR in the reliable repeatable 10's. Different gearbox, different rear end, these cars are drivers cars, that can and will blow the doors off of cars costing 20 times as much on any back road, but they were never designed as straightline monsters.

Comment

Sorry, I was exaggerating about making 10 seconds 1/4 mile. I know it will most likely not happen but I would like it at least low 13's high 12's.

I think that's possible.

Comment

My dad wanted me to ask if it's possible to fit a LS engine into the GTX ? I keep telling him it can't but he keeps on insisting that it will.

Comment

anything is possible but you have to have very deep pockets and expect tons of fabrication work. is it worth doing? probably not
                          91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

I reeeeeeealllly wanted to do a v8 to the rally protege but the amount of trans tunnel and firewall chopping and steering rack relocating was too scary for me.

Comment

I have a "low mileage" JDM GTR engine/tranny/harness I'm thinking of selling. I got it from a JDM importer right near you. I also have a bunch of other GTR parts you might want for your car.

Prices in USD, plus shipping
                              All parts OEM Euro or JDM GTR parts, in very good condition (except 1 strut)

• ceiling light with 2 map lights ($20)
                              • radiator (probably needs new core) ($50)
                              • In-dash clock ($20)
                              • Set of 4 struts/springs/tops (right front needs straightening) ($80)
                              • front control arms ($50)
                              • Set of floor mats ($50/all 4)
                              • instrument cluster
                              • GTR model w/paint $35

• handbrake $25
                              • Front console, w/rubber shift boot; Part# B698-64-320B ($50)
                              • Rear console (surrounds handbrake lever) ($40)
                              $100 for all 3

Email or call if you're interested. 845-246-4060
                              Jim Chittenden
                              NY
                              s1elise190@yahoo.com

1988 Mazda 323 GTX

Comment

Working...
                              X