Ecu Hesitation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecu Hesitation?

After CAI install.... I reset ECU. I know that they say you will experience some hesitation for about 40 key starts or so, but my pro is hesitating a lot! 1st Gear... jerking... and sounds like it is going to die... RPM's seem to fluctuate. 2nd through 5th all just have a bogging like hesitation upon acceleration. Also very very very little throttle reponse at first... then kicks in and I am taking off like a bat outta hell.... Is this the normal ECU restting hesitation? Oh by the way... I have driven for about 60 miles and 2 and a half days now (maybe 30 key starts)... same thing....maybe just a slight improvment. Drives fine... when cold. Any ideas??

sounds like you have a big vacuum leak somewhere. everything hooked up right? double check your work. make sure all hoses and clamps are on good and tightened. also, if this is a 1.6l, clean the MAF sensor with a qtip.. be careful with it thought. There's a couple 1.6l threads about intakes, take a look around and you'll probably find them. I've posted some tips on stopping hesitation before with a CAI on the 1.6.
    -mike lucero
    1988 Mazda 323 GTX
    2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Originally posted by protetype
      sounds like you have a big vacuum leak somewhere. everything hooked up right? double check your work. make sure all hoses and clamps are on good and tightened. also, if this is a 1.6l, clean the MAF sensor with a qtip.. be careful with it thought. There's a couple 1.6l threads about intakes, take a look around and you'll probably find them. I've posted some tips on stopping hesitation before with a CAI on the 1.6.
      Will do.... Thanks.. Oh yeah... what do I use to clean MAF? I mean... what can I put on the Q-Tip?
      Last edited by sLoPrO2k; 02-09-2004, 06:43 PM.

Comment

i personally used alcohol to clean it. rubbing alcohol. just a little bit.
        -mike lucero
        1988 Mazda 323 GTX
        2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Thanks man... will try...

Comment

Alright... cleaned the MAF sensor... I recently had my fuel system cleaned (3 days ago) and it seems as if there was carbon build up on the MAF from that cleaning because I know it wasn't dirty like that when I installed it the first time. The car seems to be running a lot better, but it is still hesitating.. mostly in first and second gear... unless I go full throttle with it. Do you think that I should reset the ECU now? Can it possibly have a bad memory due to all the hesitation from the last couple days of driving with that nasty MAF sensor?
            Last edited by sLoPrO2k; 02-09-2004, 08:28 PM.

Comment

You may as well reset the ECU, it isn't going to hurt anything.

Comment

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&page=10&pp=15 read towards the bottom of the page... my post.
                -mike lucero
                1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Thanks guys... but I have one more question... after a normal reset of the ECU... how bad is the hesitation supposed to be?

Comment

Originally posted by protetype
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&page=10&pp=15 read towards the bottom of the page... my post.
                    Good advice. I have been getting terrible hesitation since putting on the evo hood. It is from water getting inside the engine bay. Becuase it only gives me problems after it rains. And I was trying to figure out exactly where the problem was occuring. Sounds like it is around the maf sensor like you were saying.
                    Last edited by McCorkle; 02-10-2004, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I just noticed.... dont know how I didn't when taking off the MAF... The MAF is missing one of the screws... have no idea where it could be... I don't remember taking it off to clean it... only remember taking one off now that I think about it... I am sure this can be causing a vacuum leak.. right?

Comment

its a good possibility...
                        -mike lucero
                        1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                        2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

1st MP3 of NH has an explanation of hesitation by the ECU in his signature. Go to www.msprotege.com and check it out.
                          2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                          KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                          Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                          Groundkit

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help!! Today I went on a 9 store mission searching for a screw for the MAF. Mazda didn't even have one! Anyways, I finally got one (well got a few). Stopped at my local bicycle shop... got an innertube.FREEBIE!!Went home... Cleaned the MAF one more time... made a seal for the MAF. Installed... reset ECU once again... NOW I DON'T LOOK LIKE SOME DUMBASS THAT DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE STICK!!! I am up and running again! Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by sLoPrO2k
                              I just noticed.... dont know how I didn't when taking off the MAF... The MAF is missing one of the screws... have no idea where it could be... I don't remember taking it off to clean it... only remember taking one off now that I think about it... I am sure this can be causing a vacuum leak.. right?
                              How many beers did you have before hand?
                              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                              Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                              X