PGP lap attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PGP lap attack

So there's this nice new kart track at Pacific Raceways up here in the NW, and they do lapping days for cars. Some rally folk got together and set up a class to go play in. I don't exactly have a rallycar that, you know, runs, but I took the daily driver down and thrashed on it instead. So here's what I learned...
    My car is a frustrating sqealing understeering pig on a gokart track, where the corners are very tight mid to low rpm 2nd gear pretty much all the way round. If I managed to keep the turbo on the spool I pretty much doriftoed the whole damn corner, and the one after it. This is amusing but hardly the fast way round. I had no real idea it plowed that badly cuz on less tight corners like onramps, I can put power down and step the back end out and golly, no more understeer.
    They had a radar gun at the end of the "straightaway"... I was somewhat surprised to find that my pos mazdog grocerygetter put down the highest top speed at the end of that straight, beating out the modded 93rx7, the VW golf that had traction issues shifting into 3rd, the s15 honda with more money in its brakes than I have in my whole car, the turbo Miata, the H6 swapped caged Sooby, the very very hotrodded srt4, etc etc.... I was surprised, but them other folks down there were downright shocked.. Now I wanna figger out the best way to get rid of lowspeed understeer without reducing grip at the back of the car..
    I stuck my gopro cam on the side window for a couple runs, I'll post video later when I'm on an innerweb conn that doesn't suck as much as this one. I very strategically didn't have the cam running the 2 times I made an ass of myself, spinning once, and going off the end of that aforementioned straight, having decided that I could delay braking a bit more than I had been, and being wrong enough in that assessment to find it much easier to just continue on down the dirt escape till tarmac appeared in front of me again...they told me that escapade only cost me 2/10ths. I ended up 2nd in "rally" class, not very fair cuz it ain't a rallycar, was on street tires, and puts so much more oomph out than my rallycar it ain't funny, but it was all in good fun. My best laps were 1:20.1 and thereabouts. That put me right on par with a very well driven bmw Z4 that had the same Yoko Sdrives I have. Dude told me he figured they cost us him sec/lap once the track dried, compared to Rcompound tires like he usually uses. I dunno how much they'd help my situation, I'll try camber plates up front and such first. FTD went to that turbo miata with a 1:15.4, 1 second ahead of that damn fast Neon. This kart track stuff is more fun than autocross. You don't often get to use 3rd gear in autocross and I got to use that 'un twice a lap!
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486
Working...
X