Timing Belt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Question

Last week i went to the Dealership to do my oil change...the Dealership is telling me that i need to change my timing belt (w/o inspecting it). They said i should change it every 60,000 miles. i currently have 64,000 (about)...the manuel said i should inspect it at 65,000 and replace it at 102,000 miles.

What should i do??

www.floridamazdaclub.com

Protege is going back to stock...its time for a change...she will be traded in soon.

For Sale:
    4 17" exel TZ 7 rims w/2 good tires (other 2 need to be replaced) -- $150

I would get it done ASAP! There is not any warning when it does get warn down, so when it goes, your engine will go! I know it's a chunk of change to put down on it, but it beats having to replace the entire engine!
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
      I would get it done ASAP! There is not any warning when it does get warn down, so when it goes, your engine will go! I know it's a chunk of change to put down on it, but it beats having to replace the entire engine!

screw that, just have it checked out. i had to replace mine when i put on a new crank shaft pulley, and they didn't give me the shorter bolts like they were supposed to. the bolts went in too far and tore up my timing belt. but the belt at 60k miles was fine, and could have easily gone over 100k. when it goes, there will be no warning, but that's not a big deal like other cars. the pistons are designed so that your valves won't hit them if the timing is totally screwed. mazda designed the engine so that it won't get too f'd up from the broken belt. it's got a crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor, so as soon as the timing is off from a broken belt, then the car shuts off

Comment

I am having mine changed and my car is about at 72000 miles. Our engines are non-interference so the valves can't even hit the pistons at top dead center. If it does snap there won't be any damage. You'll just be needing a tow to the nearest dealer.
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
          I am having mine changed and my car is about at 72000 miles. Our engines are non-interference so the valves can't even hit the pistons at top dead center. If it does snap there won't be any damage. You'll just be needing a tow to the nearest dealer.

are you really having yours changed, or are you doing it yourself? mine took about 5 hours to do by myself. the hardest part was getting the engine mount off, since i don't have a breaker bar i've got the manual from mazda in PDF format that shows how to align the cams after the belt is changed, if you need it.

edit: disregard that, i forgot you were having the dealer change it, since they have your car anyways.
          Last edited by blue LEDz; 02-10-2004, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT

Only if you have an interference engine like Honda. The FS-DEs (and if I'm not mistaken, all the other Protege engines) are non-interference, which just means when the belt snaps, you're not going anywhere, but your engine is still intact. If you feel safe going with what the manual says, do that, otherwise the rule of thumb is change around 60,000 to 65,000 miles.
            Try pie. Try.

Comment

i just had mine checked ant the belt all the way at the bottom is the one that needs to be replaced. Ill let you know which one tomorrow
              My OLD Car

Comment

good stuff guys. i learn something new about my car every day!
                2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                X