Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 Protege build thread...

Well I havent owned a protege in a few years,

I first owned one back in 2002 and i dit alot of modifications to it. It ended with a2.5 v6 klde swap which at the time wasnt as common in the BG chassis. But the cars harness melted ont he exhaust, and it led to all kinds of problems, and at the time i didnt have the time nor money to get it corrected so i got rid of the car.

stock

lowered sprayed wheels

Hit a deer on moreland avenue...of all places...lol

Got it all together up front

ON a instant thought decided to go after the v6 swap

motor out

V6 Klde in

Ran good! took it out took pics!

Later that night i took it out, and thats when the harness fried...and it was just downhill from there.. and i needed a car running again to go to work.. so it had to go!

Shortly after a year or 2 later i owned some other cars, and I ended up with another one i got for FREE! Wasnt running, timing belt had came off, and got that fixed, and I had plabs for it, but it was an automatic and at the time, I wasnt into doing a auot to manual swap..So i sold it to a guy in Augusta for his sons first car!

And than....about 3 years ago I got ANOTHER one for FREE, that had a blown head gasket, had the motor apart, and torn down. But i owned the 929, and got real into that car at the time. Mazda powered came down and picked it up from me!

And after the 929 was gone, I had a Rx7, and I got rid of the 7, and got into another protege, and decided that I was gonna stick with it.

It is a DX and not a Lx like my old teal one. but it was running good, and was spotless inside! Ive had it for a few months, and was looking for another car to do serious work to..

So Saturday I picked up another one from a shop for 200$ that had the owner abandon the car after not wanting to repair the head gasket in it.

Didnt take any pictures of it before i went to work.. lol., but the car was repainted recently and has 72k on the clock, im not sure if its legit or not...but ill take it!

The plans are to:

-Pull the motor from the white car
    -Repair the headgasket and turbo the motor
    -put it in the green protege

And for the white protege I was able to get a free 2.5 v6 klde motor from a friend who had an unfortunate accident with his mx3 which lead to a fire in the bay.. So Im gonna be breaking it down and replace as much as i can or need to..but hopefully its good so we will see when i open it up.

The motor looks pretty rough, but it ran before it was on fire...lol so hopefully it will be ok.

The millenia Curved neck manifold that hopefully can be saved...

plans for tommorow after work, pull the motor from the white car, and start tearing down the v6..and see what needs to be replaced....
    Last edited by jitb37; 02-20-2011, 10:51 PM.

So far I'm liking everything!!

BTW people, I'm the said crazy Canadian who bought the first white LX
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
      So far I'm liking everything!!

BTW people, I'm the said crazy Canadian who bought the first white LX
      lol my bad i copied it from another forum.. and forgot to change that part! But your build inspired me to get another one tho...so thanks!

Comment

Sick! glad you're back in the game man lol, I bet you are too

so what's it looking like under the KL valve covers? I see the intake ports in the head look a little cooked lol
        -Jack

Comment

nice start will be following this
          Anyone knows what 9K rpm feels like? I do

93 Mercury Tracer SW
          99 Honda Accord 4DR 'VIP' status
          01 Honda S2000 Future Boost

Comment

Good to see you're back and building another protege. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
            Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Sick! glad you're back in the game man lol, I bet you are too

so what's it looking like under the KL valve covers? I see the intake ports in the head look a little cooked lol

its not bad at all... but the motor was sitting covered outside for awhile. So water has gotten in.. when the heads come off we will know.

Comment

From no projects to 2. Now that's a protege lover lol. Good luck Joe
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Bp out, gonna take the tranny off and get ready to put it on the stand and pick up another motor!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Comment

look at that already on a roll...
                    Anyone knows what 9K rpm feels like? I do

93 Mercury Tracer SW
                    99 Honda Accord 4DR 'VIP' status
                    01 Honda S2000 Future Boost

Comment

If you have an air compressor an investment in a sand blaster would make that motor pretty again. What happened to cause the fire, a fuel leak or something?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisOFNA View Post
                        If you have an air compressor an investment in a sand blaster would make that motor pretty again. What happened to cause the fire, a fuel leak or something?
                        Well I found another running de earler today that I'm gonna pick up tommorow hopefully.

But yea the sand blaster would def help on it..I'm gonna hit the manifold with the wire brush.

But the previous owner cross threaded the fuel rail bolt, and when he started the car, the fuel sprayed everywhere and lit it up!

Comment

Unburnt klde acquired, got the motors all nice and mounted on the stands.

The 100$ kl was at a shop I deliver to frequently, and a customer had wanted it replaced because it was the original motor, and had 392k! On it..but the technicians told me it ran fine, and they did a lot of other work on the motor in its life, she just wanted a fresh motor. So I'm debating whether I want to do a head gasket replacement or not, or trust their word....but it will depend on how much money I have after I collect the rest of the parts, and how lazy I am. But I am picking up a trans mission Saturday. After work tommorow, I'm gonna clean them both off, and see what I'm working with!

Comment

aww don't they look so happy beside each other lol

looking good tho man!!! so pumped you're getting back into this again!

392k tho! holy crap! I think that's the highest mileage RUNNING KL I've ever heard about lol.
                            -Jack

Comment

aww don't they look so happy beside each other lol

looking good tho man!!! so pumped you're getting back into this again!

392k tho! holy crap! I think that's the highest mileage RUNNING KL I've ever heard about lol.

you know whats even funnier is that i have a kia bp clone also behind it lol, its like a big happy family

lol i wonder if that is a record!

Comment

Working...
                              X