Big Hesitation Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Hesitation Problems

I read what Protetype wrote about the hesitation problem on the Protege, but I don't think my problem is as easily fixable. Ever since I got the evo hood I have had big problems after it rains. The will get very non-responsive, when I hit the gas it pretty much only revs, and has very little go to it. I am trying to determine which parts are getting wet that is causing a problem. The car is just kind of putting a bit. Like for example if you put your hand behind the exhaust you will feel the air come out in spurts. Now I checked all of my connections on the Injen intake, and they are secure. So I am almost positive it has to do with the water. The water will usually get itself flushed out within a day but this has been going on for about a week now, and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better. I am getting a blinking CEL light which I know is serious.

That's exactly what my car was doing in the high gears...Today when i was driving to get a bicycle innertube, my CEL started to flash also. did you try that bicycle innertube seal on your intake? I made one and installed today...reset ECU and it is fine now..

Comment

Originally posted by sLoPrO2k
      That's exactly what my car was doing in the high gears...Today when i was driving to get a bicycle innertube, my CEL started to flash also. did you try that bicycle innertube seal on your intake? I made one and installed today...reset ECU and it is fine now..
      Yeah I was reading through what you wrote. For right now I just taped it up completely, and I am pretty sure it is sealed well. But my car is doing this through every gear. And when I am sitting still it just keeps putting.

Comment

Mine did the same... just 1st and 2nd gear sounded like it was gonna die from the Idle jumping up and down ... stand still it would putt also... I don't know... maybe you should try that seal... you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by sLoPrO2k
          Mine did the same... just 1st and 2nd gear sounded like it was gonna die from the Idle jumping up and down ... stand still it would putt also... I don't know... maybe you should try that seal... you never know.
          Could you take a picture of how you sealed it? I might go and pick up an air filter cleaner too. The cone is filthy.

Comment

I took some pictures... but I it was too dark out... they turned out bad.... Basically all you do is cut the innertube so that you have a flat piece... I just cut a large square... placed it over the intake MAF opening, traced the hole with a pen... cut the circle out with scissors... Put the shaft of the MAF through the hole... and cut around the MAF to shape it... Installed.

Comment

Okay that gives me a good idea of how to do it. I was a bit unsure. Now I just need to find an old tire.

Comment

Good Luck! Hope it goes well.

Comment

I tried to do a temp fix tonight and tape around the gap. It worked for about 10 minutes and then started leaking again. But here's a question for you, when you cut the tire did you leave just enough room for the long sensor to go into the pipe or did you cover the entire area.

Comment

ok... i took pictures.. it's ****ing cold out.. so be appreciative. thanks. give me about five minutes.. and i'll post em..
                    -mike lucero
                    1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                    2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Yeah I imagine it is pretty cold out there.

Comment

yes, it is ****ing cold... any more questions? feel free to ask.. i'll be here all night people. my aim is skanzlost, my email is protetype@qwest.net... i'd give you my cell number, but for fear of you stalking me and breathing heavy (this means you Edwin.. and Jesse, i know it was you guys!) i won't give that number out any more.

-mike lucero
                        1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                        2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Awesome thanks. But let me get this straight according to the picture the hand is you? Alright whatever you say. I'll have to get on this tomorrow afternoon after classes. Until then another fun day of driving a car that feels like it has 40hp.

Comment

also.. check your plugs and wires.. they may be fouling out if there's hella water getting on them. burning them up. the wires may just be shot. check it tonight to make sure they're not arc'ing off each other while its dark.
                            -mike lucero
                            1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                            2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

The wires should be alright. I always carry a towell with me so when I have to park and it is raining I toss it over the hood scoops. It is definately the seal because everything runs fine during the small amount of time when it is sealed up. I will just try again tomorrow with the tire part. But there are no bike shops around me so is the inner tube of a tire something I might be able to pick up at walmart?

Comment

Working...
                              X