MX3 guys smarter than me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX3 guys smarter than me....

I have a weird/interesting question about the rear of this car...

Ready?

Are you SURE?

What would be the BIGGEST issues preventing one from putting a motor in the rear? Specifically speaking GS variant. Is there any chance that one could stick a motor in the back and retain most if not all of the TTLs?

Were you ready for that?

TTL's would have to go, but after having a V6 and a subframe in the back of my mx, pretty much nothing.

This statement assumes you know all the standard responses to to putting a motor where it doesn't belong
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Alright... so if the TTLs go, you'd have to fab up something to keep the geometry in place, yes?

I'm not a fab guy, just as a warning.

My thought here was to somehow adapt the front hubs to work with the back stuff to make the axle situation "easy." (Famous last words.)

Comment

The gernal plan that I've seen used for these swaps is drop out a front subframe with complete suspension including the struts.

Place under rear of the car and slow cut things away till the front struts fit where the rears use to be. Suppport accordingly
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

And then weld solid bars in place of steering rack...

Yeah, i guess that seems like the easiest way.

Guess i'm searching for another GS parts car. Thanks!

Comment

it really depends on what engine/transmission you use. the 4WD protege still has its TTL's.

Probably take some sort of subframe fabrication, but if you do it right, you might possibly be able to keep the existing suspension geometry..

Comment

The idea right now is a KLG4. Well. Two of them.

I'm not going to say that i'm definitely doing this. Moreso that i'm researching it at this point.

Comment

Want to take over my engineering skills? How about you take my idea about putting a turbo'd hayabusa engine in the back? I have been wanting to do it, but I can not find a LSD that is external. Lots of fabrication is needed, but it will be worth it.

Comment

Nah, that sounds expensive.

I'm mulling over sticking a KLG4 + turbo in the front, and a KLG4 + turbo in the back.

Think "Durocco."

Comment

Twin-engine MX-3? Damn! Hope this happens, that would be amazing.

Comment

Don't hold your breath lol. I have other projects to finish first. Right now i'm just researching.

Comment

twin engine will be a tank. Hayabusa engine is ultra light and probably faster than a twin kl set up.

Comment

Heh, i think your wants in a project like this are far more noble than mine.

I'm just looking for a stupid car capable of gross displays of power on the somewhat cheap, and not much else.

I'm still looking at 3000lbs or less, and over 600awhp. I shudder to think of the money involved in making a rear engined busa-powered MX3 be faster than that. MX3s are heavy for the size anyways. It'd be interesting trying to even get your setup around 2000lbs.

Not knocking your idea, i think it's cool. But i'm not doing it.

Comment

it's all good, once i get a festiva I will start working on that project

Comment

get ready for TONS of fab work.
                              check out this thread on another forum im on and look at the last 3-4 pages of it and you'll see what i mean.

sigpic
                              ________
                              '94 MX-3
                              |229,000 miles and DEAD|

SOFA
                              KING

SLOW

Comment

Working...
                              X