2002 Protege ES Upgrades : Looking For Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 Protege ES Upgrades : Looking For Some Help

I've had a 2002 ES for about a year now, and now that i have the $$ i really wanna start doing some stuff to its performance...........i know the first thing i want to do is get a cold air intake, anyone have any suggestions?? Then i want to proceed on to some other types of upgrades but not really sure of what yet.............so could someone please "guide" me in this process LoL.........any suggestions will help thanks.......mainly looking for performance engine/exhaust work thought

Thanks,

Lazerrrrr com'n at ya

Get urself a Turbo!!! There's your engine! I take it you have a manual tranny too? AEM has nice stuff for your engine Check E-bay out for good deals!
    "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

yeh i've got a 5-speed hah! wut else!!.........AEM intakes......was looking at them and Ingen as well......i'll check it out thnx

Comment

No prob. Sorry i own a Auto!! But i'm bout sho not go!!! But yea Injen is good as well, have a couple of things from them on the crx's engine.. Good lUck!!

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

what would be somethin after the intake that i'd look into?? still searchinnnnn!

Comment

Fuel rail pressure regulator cam gears fly wheel hhhmmm let my brain think someomore!! injectors.... I'll keep thinkin!!!!

Comment

probably an exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
                probably an exhaust
                yea that thingy too!!! Just type in Protege it will bring up everything!!! LOL!!

Comment

Read this:

And do a search. This has been covered many times.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by Lazer
                    I've had a 2002 ES for about a year now, and now that i have the $$ i really wanna start doing some stuff to its performance...........i know the first thing i want to do is get a cold air intake, anyone have any suggestions?? Then i want to proceed on to some other types of upgrades but not really sure of what yet.............so could someone please "guide" me in this process LoL.........any suggestions will help thanks.......mainly looking for performance engine/exhaust work thought

Thanks,

Lazerrrrr com'n at ya
                    My first question to you is.... Are you a DIY kinda guy or the type that has a shop do it. That would be a big money factor. Instead of wasteing your money on the lil 3-15 hp mods, and realizing its not enough "oomph!" If you have the dough, and are good with mechanics, I would go for a turbo. Spending about 3k and getting the power you want the first time is a very smart approch. DO NOT get a turbo if you would be afraid to do something as simple as an oil change. They are a bit of work to install and, if you don't really research your ****, its gonna be a expensive mod.
                    The plan with my car is to pay it off first, then get the turbo. I guess the lil mods are just gonna have to do for about 2 1/2 more years
                    " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
                    Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
                    Painted calipers
                    Injen CAI
                    Custom exhaust
                    Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

Comment

How much life do you shave off the engine when u slap a turbo on it? I'm sitting on about $2k and have been spending on visuals, because I hear putting a turbo on the stock 2liter will reduce its' lifespan.

And yeah, your upgrades should depend on if you're a mechanic or not. Most shops in my neighborhood charge around $70/hour on labor, so performance upgrades I can't do myself are outta the question. If you HAVE some advanced knowledge of engines or a mechanic friend, I understand Mazdaspeed exhaust+intake camshafts with a performance exhaust and intake get you about 20-25WHP on the stock 2liter.
                      2002 Protege LX
                      ] Eibach Pro Springs [] Tokico HP shocks [] AWR rear swaybar [] PIAA Super Plasma GT-X [] custom CAI [] 30% all-around tints [] 17" Flik Wasps / Kumho Ecsta 711 tires [] APC Eurotails [

Comment

Its kinda hard to say how much life you would shave off an engine with a turbo. People treat their cars differently. There's dumb people who treat their car like ****.
                        An people who take care of the car. People who have done their homework on turbos will to probably make the engine last. Some stupid race crazy kid with a turbo kit that they didn't install, and knows just the general fact that the turbo makes the car go fast, will either screw up the engine or crash. In point, if you treat your car good it will last. Besides, the Mazdaspeed protege' has a turbo, so its not like a 2.0s gonna die under normal driving habits.
                        " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
                        Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
                        Painted calipers
                        Injen CAI
                        Custom exhaust
                        Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

Comment

I know the MSP is turbo, but it also has a buncha performance engine parts added. According to Mazda website, the MSP is running 170HP stock, but I read a couple of reviews, some claiming upwards of 190-200HP. What's the factory PSI setting on that turbo anyway?

And yes, I am a race crazy kid... well, not entirely. I go check out races like once a week, and do maybe like 2 or 3 quartermile runs. Otherwise, I'm a relaxed everyday driver.
                          2002 Protege LX
                          ] Eibach Pro Springs [] Tokico HP shocks [] AWR rear swaybar [] PIAA Super Plasma GT-X [] custom CAI [] 30% all-around tints [] 17" Flik Wasps / Kumho Ecsta 711 tires [] APC Eurotails [

Comment

dude, you have a Ghetto air intake, i like that vendor, i have some of their parts also.
                            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i think the claim on the MSP runs at 8-9psi.. but i think that's BS cuz it's only getting about 45whp on the FS-DE.

Get a full cat-back exhaust.. it'll help now, and it'll help more when/if you get a turbo.
                              Look into getting a header, too... the Injen, from what i've read, seems to be a little better than the AEM.. but only adds like 3-5hp to the car.

the garrett T25 is a turbo that lots of people talk about. i'm pretty the hydromatique (name?) te03 is another.. i've just seen it, but never actually read up on it.
                              there's lots of companies (4+ is lots to me) out there that seem to be looking into making protege turbo kits. but it's cheaper to make your own kit with a used turbo offa ebay

i'm still breaking into turbos and engine perf.. so don't take my words like that of a guru or anything.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                              RB springs
                              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                              MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X