BF Wiring Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BF Wiring Questions

So I've tried doing a ton of searching but I can't seem to find the answer. The timing on the 323 GTX seems to be unchangeable other than retarding all the time or advancing, etc. Is there an easy way, not MS or other standalone to go to a CAS wheel? I know the Miata CAS bolts on but the control would obviously be an issue since sensors are different.

An idea I had was buying an entire miata engine with wiring and switching over all the various sensors and harness I need. The miata has a plethora of engine management options. Including plug n play standalones like the AEM EMS. I also have a AEM FIC sitting around that could tune the car. Optimizing boost/timing/fuel for more boost and various other mods.

Also does the BPT, assuming I swapped the engine harness and ecu, use a CAS? Would a entire BPT swap be the best answer I'm looking for?

Thanks for any and all help, sorry if this has been discussed and my searching abilities are just lacking.

EDIT: Also assume I have the ability to do all the wiring and swapping my self. I have a tig/mig/metal lathe/lift/hoists/engine stands/ and thousands in snap-on tools. The ability is there as long as its possible.

Hey.. full stand alone is going to be the only answer to run a CAS on B6T or BPT.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
    1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
    1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
    1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
    1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

I'm not sure on the details but there is a guy over on mt.net that is running a DSM ecu in his turbo miata. Drives the stock coils and uses the stock CAS (I think) and is nearly PNP with the miata wiring.

Now, you'd have to get a little creative in the GTX especially with the wiring, but if you used a DSM ECU it would be possible (and cheap) to drive a CAS and coils using an ECU that is from another boosted car.

Figure out the details for yourself =P

Edit: couldn't resist digging and found the info for you. From this thread: http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread...DSM+ECU&page=3

I am running a 1G DSM 4G63 Turbo ECU. Some folks will be able to spot the DSM bits in the engine photo in my last post. The most obvious is the throttle body and elbow, you can also see the injector resistor box on the passenger firewall. The cam angle sensor is the stock Miata unit, the power transistor is from a 1G DSM (almost identical to the stock Miata unit) and the coil packs are DSM units swapped into the Miata bracket. I'm using the factory DSM knock sensor screwed into the empty intake bracket hole in the block. I literally had all of this stuff in an old bin from a swap I planned on doing, but never did. So many of the Miata components were similar, I couldn't resist. I got the idea from the guys that running the DSM ECU on the KA24 240s.

The car runs perfect, and the DSM ECU doesn't seem to know/care what name is on the valve cover!
      Last edited by Wayne_curr; 03-23-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

With the amount of rewiring you'd do, (trust me I'm running a Miata based piggy back system) you might as well go MegaSquirt. Is there some reason you didn't want t run MS or another standalone other than cost?

1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead

Comment

Originally posted by 808 View Post
          With the amount of rewiring you'd do, (trust me I'm running a Miata based piggy back system) you might as well go MegaSquirt. Is there some reason you didn't want t run MS or another standalone other than cost?
          Oh I definitely agree with you. Megasquirt makes everything so easy. I've built 15-20 of them for myself and other people including 2 carb to EFI conversions and even when you have to wire up the whole car its easy.

Comment

you're looking at around probably $400 total to convert to MS including sensors and other little stuff and you get full programmability.

Comment

I would run another AEM EMS. I currently have one on my heavily modified impreza. It idles better than factory. Cold start is great. Warm up is great. open closed loop is not an issue like factory ecus. And the software is familiar and easy to use. Not to offend but I've never seen a MS that runs like factory. And you have to add almost all the sensors from a miata anyway.

At that point wouldn't it be easier to source a miata wiring harness and needed sensors, build a adapter to run coil on plug, and run a miata ecu or a plug and play AEM EMS? And like I said before I have a AEM FIC and it looks like many people have had success with on Miatas. The AEM EMS is about $800 new and would be by far the most expensive option. The AEM FIC I already have so it would be free. Miata wiring harnesses and sensors are cheap.

If I'm totally wrong and this is not a good option please let me know.

Another unrelated question is has anyone run a high compression setup on there B6T or BPT? If you had the intake and exhaust manifolds from a BPT engine could you swap an entire Miata engine and wiring and just swap on the intake/exhaust manifolds? I've always loved the drive-ability of higher compression setups versus the common 8.0:1 compression of most turbo cars.

Comment

I know of plenty of people that run MS and have no problems at all. It comes down to most people that run MS are looking for the cheap way out.. if you do it cheap its going to run poorly. If you do it right.. its inexpensive still, but its done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Brydon View Post
                  I would run another AEM EMS. I currently have one on my heavily modified impreza. It idles better than factory. Cold start is great. Warm up is great. open closed loop is not an issue like factory ecus. And the software is familiar and easy to use. Not to offend but I've never seen a MS that runs like factory. And you have to add almost all the sensors from a miata anyway.

At that point wouldn't it be easier to source a miata wiring harness and needed sensors, build a adapter to run coil on plug, and run a miata ecu or a plug and play AEM EMS? And like I said before I have a AEM FIC and it looks like many people have had success with on Miatas. The AEM EMS is about $800 new and would be by far the most expensive option. The AEM FIC I already have so it would be free. Miata wiring harnesses and sensors are cheap.

If I'm totally wrong and this is not a good option please let me know.

Another unrelated question is has anyone run a high compression setup on there B6T or BPT? If you had the intake and exhaust manifolds from a BPT engine could you swap an entire Miata engine and wiring and just swap on the intake/exhaust manifolds? I've always loved the drive-ability of higher compression setups versus the common 8.0:1 compression of most turbo cars.
                  Dude, i've seen more AEM EMS cars that run like **** than megasquirt cars. 90% of them were modded imprezas, too. What does that tell you?

As for high compression B6T, i'm running miata 9.4:1 pistons in my GTX right now and it feels great. I run the same pistons in my turbo miata and it also feels great. However, my turbo miata runs a megasquirt, so you'd probably think it runs like crap lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne_curr View Post
                    Dude, i've seen more AEM EMS cars that run like **** than megasquirt cars. 90% of them were modded imprezas, too. What does that tell you?

As for high compression B6T, i'm running miata 9.4:1 pistons in my GTX right now and it feels great. I run the same pistons in my turbo miata and it also feels great. However, my turbo miata runs a megasquirt, so you'd probably think it runs like crap lol.
                    I do realize it's all about who does the tuning. I might be willing to try the MS out. Unfortunately I've ran into to many people that didn't know what they were doing. Sometimes the DIY'ers shouldn't do everything themselves.

Good to know on the pistons. My impreza is just shy of 9.4:1 compression with a gt40r. It actually drives off boost quite nice. I've owned sr20dets that were just not as nice to drive off boost because of the lower compression compared to high compression sr20s. It's something I've always liked and everyone seems to shun.
                    Last edited by Brydon; 03-23-2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Hey, Brydon. You should come out to Buffalo Wild Wings in Cascade Station Wednesday around 7ish. Probably gonna be one of our smaller MazdasNW.com meets due to weather but it's hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by 808 View Post
                        Hey, Brydon. You should come out to Buffalo Wild Wings in Cascade Station Wednesday around 7ish. Probably gonna be one of our smaller MazdasNW.com meets due to weather but it's hard to say.
                        Not sure what car I will be driving but I should be able to make it. Might be a 01 subaru RS. I know, boo, subaru....

Comment

Bring the GTX if you can. If not oh well. I think the PDX meet coordinator will be in his Civic ft wagon. We usually get there early and hang out for a bit and then head inside at 7 for food and drink. I dig gc chassis rs's anyway.

Comment

Another unrelated to wiring question. Has anyone done a 5 lug or 4x100 swap? A 5x100 would be the best since I have wheels to fit. Only wondering because the options for wheels and offsets are limited on the GTX.
                            Last edited by Brydon; 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

both are surely possible.. though I don't know what you'd use for the 5x100 swap. I have 4x100 on my GTX. I'm using all awd protege and BG chassis GTX stuff i'm pretty sure. I have most of the parts to do a 5 lug swap I think. I'm probably gonna hold onto those though, I'm a horrible GTX hoarder. Come out tomorrow and you can check out my GTX. The MZ3 will fit in just fine. Most of the guys there are MS3's and MS6's.

Edit: damn it... put the day in wrong. Tonight is the other forum's Forza league night. Tomorrow is the meet.
                              Last edited by 808; 03-29-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X