Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Gauge

Anyone have issues with their fuel gauge not reading properly below half a tank?

Mine will go all over the board when I am going up hill, around turns, accelerating, or braking. Sometimes it drops from 1/2 a tank all the way down to E. I am hoping it might be dirty connection, but if its normal for the 4wd models then I suppose I could live with it.

Also, how many miles do you guys usually get from a tank?

I'm set up with a BG GTX trans, BP, and 2.25" exhaust up to the cat, and 2.5" Cat and back.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Heh.. yeah, I've never noticed my guage to be a paragon of precision. Maybe not so bad as to go from half to empty on a hill, but it's still a bit vague. The needle moves slowly, responding to hills, throttle, braking, etc... You may have a bad conn, but more likely, specially if your neddle is moving more quickly,you have a bad xfer pump. It's on the pax side and all it's sposed to do is push gas over the driveline hump and when it goes, fuel level round the pickup can get, um, erratic.
    I've been getting 270-290mi/tank, but that's on planet 23psi, not planet oem...
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I get about 300-320/tank or 22-23 overall MPG. I usually put in 12-14.5 gallons to fill it up.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Has anyone gone Subaru style and deleted the x-fer pump and replaced it with a suction jet pump? Much simpler system found on newer scoobys i guess
        1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
        1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
        www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Sometimes even when I'm on a hill and idling with the car tipped so its going up hill it will do it. Is the gauge float on the driver's or passenger's side? I seem to notice that the fuel goes up when I turn to the right, that would slosh the fuel to the left then?

I'll pop the back seat bottom out now and see what I can come up with. I hear it humming, but if its intermittently going out then I might be SOL. I'll hunt around for a spare just in case I need to do a roadside repair.

The way I have been calculating the fuel mileage I have been seeing 26 mpg highway (drove about 650 miles last weekend and will be doing it again this weekend).
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Anyone have a part number or a place to order a transfer pump? and details on the subaru setup?
            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Its pretty cool: the jet pump runs off the return fuel line, and siphons fuel from the far side of the saddle to the pump side. Just found this the other day and it really got me thinking.

mostly useless article: http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum03_FuelSystem.htm
              1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
              1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
              www.werbatfik.com

Comment

bump for a part number on the transfer pump?

or something I can rig up?
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
                  bump for a part number on the transfer pump?

or something I can rig up?
                  Originally posted by Rocketman View Post

Its pretty cool: the jet pump runs off the return fuel line, and siphons fuel from the far side of the saddle to the pump side. Just found this the other day and it really got me thinking.

mostly useless article: http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum03_FuelSystem.htm
                  You could rig that up.
                  1990 Protege 4WD
                  GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

maybe i will have to look into the subby option too.
                    5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

Working...
                    X