USA Rally/Eurocross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA Rally/Eurocross

Went to the first Global USA Rallycross of the year in Irwindale, CA today. The weather was looking like rain all day, but ended up sunny/drying the track out. I was helping a guy with a 2wd Honda who literally bought a car a few weeks ago (roadrace car) just for this event. He had parts coming from all over the world trying to make the event---shocks from europe (proflex), didn't get in until Thursday...complete last minute. He missed the first practice and turned his first lap in a car that he'd never driven before in qualifying...He only got 3 laps and ended up 2nd in the 10 car field---not too bad!

The event had most of the factories there---Ford/Sube's/Hyundai/SKODA with a couple of privateers as well in the 4WD category. Great talent from Europe cam including the WRC world champion Marcus Gronholm who was doing very well---couple of photo's from the day of the hardware--Rhys Millen had 2 old Hyundai WRC cars refitted as newer models---very nice work!!

Jimmy Keeny didn't clear the double and cartwheeled off the top---he missed a shift...
    sigpicwww.piercemotorsports.com www.piercemotorsport.com Like us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...91292610897146

oh man, cant wait to see the videos of that.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...-run_18851.htm

Comment

I saw where the B-spec Mazda2 was doing well, but the car in front of them missed a shift and they popped the radiator when they ran into him. Looks like a ton of fun.

Comment

The Mazda was doing well in it's class---it didn't run today unfortunately...Interesting day---subaru showed up with Dave Mirra to compete against the factory Hyundai team (Rhys Millen and Dodd) and Ford team (Marcus Gronholm, Tanner Foust)

but it was my good friend and old co-driver Stephan Verdier in a privateer Sube/ex drift car that stole the show---he passed Marcus in one of the heats to make it into the main and got by the Skoda and both factory Hyundai's to get on the podium behind winner Gronholm and Tanner---he was stoked and had media swarming around him for hours after the event---

The car I worked on all weekend finally came into it's own---Andy Sutherland won every heat/qualified on pole today and got inside front row in the main. He took the joker on the first lap, passed the fastest guy on the second and looked like a sure win towards the end of the race and then it all went bad---we'll have to see the video---not sure what happened whether he got bumped or something failed/went wrong, but the car made an abrupt left turn going down the front straight and hit the wall/hydro barrier moving it probably 25 feet---as he spun off the wall he was hit by another car and the Honda was detroyed---I mean destroyed---the engine/trans and rear suspension looks good---the seat and dash are usable, and hopefully one of the front proflex stuts are usable, the rest---just done...so close to a big payday...bummer!
        sigpicwww.piercemotorsports.com www.piercemotorsport.com Like us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...91292610897146

Comment

That really sucks to see. I've put so much time and effort into just my autocross car that I couldn't imagine having to write it off like that after so little track time. Pretty cool to be in an event with that many well known driver's though.

Comment

bummer . that would really suck . so much work down the drain .

Comment

the open class cars have the radiators remotely mounted in teh rear, since dirt/mud can block the airflow in the front

Comment

props for some good work with Andy this weekend. I was watching re-caps and they keep saying that Dillion ran into him... The camer angles kinda suck to show what went wrong... Regardless, a major tough break!!! Exciting $h!t watching Stephan. And Marcus just did a bangup job this weekend. I SOOO can't wait for round 2. I'll be there this time =P and than come back to portland right away from an scca rallyx =P,
                1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Originally posted by worldhazard View Post
                  props for some good work with Andy this weekend. I was watching re-caps and they keep saying that Dillion ran into him... The camer angles kinda suck to show what went wrong... Regardless, a major tough break!!! Exciting $h!t watching Stephan. And Marcus just did a bangup job this weekend. I SOOO can't wait for round 2. I'll be there this time =P and than come back to portland right away from an scca rallyx =P,
                  Thanks---you know all in all it wasn't/isn't that bad---Andy got great points this weekend and allthough he has to hustle to get a car together for the Washington event, it'll probably be a $500 dollar honda, a cage and then remounting everything---maybe a strut rebuild...I'll have to catch the re-cap/watch youtube, but I think and was still crossed up/had a push out of the last turn and when he finally got grip the torque steer/wheels pulled him into the wall---either way it was ugly...he's fine---we loaded the car on a flatbed and took it to the shop---would have been a pain trying to get it on the trailer...as they say, that's racing-

Comment

Working...
                  X