Computer Thingy Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Thingy Ad

Im sure if anyone saw it but in the new issue of Import Tuner there was this ad for this all in one system that comes with a touch screen and this computer type of thing. IT has the ram and the cd/dvd drive but it has its own type of Operating System. Anyone have any idea what im talking about?
    My OLD Car

I didn't see it but it sounds cool... I think I'd rather build my own setup though.

Comment

dashpc.com
      01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

yea thats siimlar but the one I saw was a little different.
        My OLD Car

Comment

Originally posted by dahotprotege
          yea thats siimlar but the one I saw was a little different.
          maybe its....click here This is what I wanted but they just cost to much for me....
          DO WHAT YOU DO!!!

Comment

The problem with building your own is what are you going to do about boot time? This one probably has like a 3 second boot time because the mini-os probably sits in ROM.
            Dan
            dreesemonkey

Comment

I dont understand why people would want that??? 1500 - 2000 dollars??? for what?
              1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
              1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
              2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
              2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

oh know...you'll have to wait 10 secs instead of 3.

Comment

10 seconds is a long time to wait for music if you ask me. I get impatient when I have an mp3 disk in my deck and it takes a second between tracks
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

well whenever I put an MP3 disk in ( has about 500 songs) it takes about 10 secs for the deck to finish reading the disk before it starts playing it. of course it doesnt do that if its already in there, just the first time... but still.

Comment

building a mini-PC is cheap and easy... boot times are irrelevant when you're saving over a grand.. my 7 seconds isn't worth that much $$$.
                      for all the features you can stick on a homemade carputer, you're better off building it yourself. just get a minicase, mini-mobo, CDRW and big HDD... winXP can handle being hooked up to a 7" touchscreen.. and you're almost unlimited as to what you can do with it (divx, mp3, maps, etc...)..

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                      RB springs
                      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                      MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

And how are you going to get a winxp box to boot in 10 seconds? It takes about a minute at best on my PC at home
                        Dan
                        dreesemonkey

Comment

my home pc loads in about 20sec... and i only have a 2500+ with 512mb ram... if it was in my car, i would have at least a 3200+ with 512mb of ram.. ain't nothing gonna lag in my car.
                          You would also modify the boot process to exclude 90% of features (no need for anything to run in the background)

10sec might be pushing it.. probably like 12-13sec load times...

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                          RB springs
                          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                          MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

make it go to hibernate. when power is sent to it it wakes up. not fully shut off. same idea as behind a laptop(when you configure the settings to do so)

Comment

First thing you do is use linux, not windows, that'll cut the boot time almost in half. It also makes it easier to set up a hibernate function. Also you keep your HU so you don't have to rely on the computer alone for music. My HU already takes a good 8 seconds or so to start playing a CD when you first turn it on. You can build it with a lot slower processor than a home computer because you don't have to run high powered games, photoshop, rendering stuff, etc. Yes, it will load slower than the $2500 one, but is it really worth that much more for a couple of seconds?

And even if you did want a really fast boot time, you could spend an extra couple of hundred dollars to buy enough ram to put your OS on, and then boot from a ram drive... probably the same speed for a hell of a lot cheaper.
                              Last edited by jnorion; 03-03-2004, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X