This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anoying thunking from the rear!!!

ok so i bought my 99 es and noticed a thunking comming from the rear, i had the dealer check it out when i had the coilpack recall done. they said they couldnt find the problem but they did realize they had put on the rong size tires. they thought that the wrong sized tires could be the problem( I didnt think so). when they put the new tires on it didnt fix it so i asked them to look at the strut mounts and all that crap to see if anything is loose. they didnt find anything wrong. could the thunking sound comming from the rear just be because these cars arent the nicest cars in the first place and there just wasnt much sound insulation on the fold down seats??? or is it somthing else??? please respond with your coments please!!!

The A-hole driver eject switch is malfunctioning. Take it back to the dealer and tell them you used to have a BMW, and they will fix it for you ...
    100% guaranted it will work next time out.
    I hope noone else answers you ..
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

why you have to and say stupid **** like that?

Comment

umm, why don't you get under the car and look for where the sound is coming from?
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

i did, i checked my spare, my rear licence plate........ i cant find any thing!!!!!

Comment

what side? when? how often?
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

both sides, it hapends every time i go over a bump

Comment

Let me tell you something...

You got some frigin nerve coming on this board and trying to down the protege. Sure it may be your protege, you make the payments. But remeber something SIR , You own a car that many of us love. Every post that I have seen you make in some way or another tries to downgrade the protege. I really could care less if your upset about loosing your damn bmw or if you are upset about getting or someone getting you a bmw, but god dammit you better understand something. I respect my car. I love me car, and I care for my car. If you don't like your car and feal the need to downgrade it, well guess what WE DON'T NEED YOU HERE. I will be the first one to tell you straight out. I have had my protege from 97 and since then it has treated with me respect and honor, has never left me stranded and has never complained about anything.

You better get yourself together. If you don't like your car then sell it. There are plenty of people that would love to own it and would have more appreciation for a wonderful car like this protege.

Either you post with RESPECT to other protege owners, or you kick your high tail in gear and go somewhere else and post.
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

ok first off i love this damn car, its a blast to drive and its the best fwd car iv ever driven. second of all im never downgrading this car im simpley was wondering if since this was a lower end mazda did they not put as much build quility into as there other models. also to set the record straight i had a 1983 320i with 350k on the odometer that i paid $1200 for, im not some rich ass bastard or anything like that, im not downgrading mazda in anyway. I love it!!! I love my friends fc3s(when its insured so we can drive it). Also if your going to knock BMW go test drive one before doing so!

Comment

I also dont think a 99 with only 53k on it should have a loud thunking comming from the rear, regardless of the make/model...

Comment

This isn't any easy problem to diagnose over the internet. The 99ES doesn't have as much sound insulation as the 2001+, road noise was a complaint on these models. But it makes the car very light and it handles well this way. The 2001+ models are heavier but quieter with more sound insulation.

That being said, the car is nicely designed, and as such, shouldn't really have any distinct kind of "clunking" except for standard road noise, unless somebody swapped in the 2001 Protege MP3 suspension, which I doubt. Heh.

Figuring out where it's coming from will probably require a little bit of detective work from you or your mechanic. If you can narrow it down maybe we can help.
                      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

yeah man thanks, tomarrow im gonna have the time to get it on a lift and check it all out. im glad to hear that it may just be the sound deadining material. ill post back with my findings. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BMW ///MPOWER
                          I also dont think a 99 with only 53k on it should have a loud thunking comming from the rear, regardless of the make/model...

thunking in trunk huh?

did you check for this?
                          Attached Files

Comment

lol yea that would shake a few bolts loose!!!! and mayby dismantal a shock or strut lol

Comment

BM: I had a similar problem, but only from one side. Take it BACK to the dealer and tell them it's the strut links (I may not be exactly right with what I'm calling them ).
                              Mazda suspension is ment to handle, and way to many bumps will bust these links on you. I'm talking like Huge potholes and such. It's gonna run you probably 35 $ a side for teh links and then labor.
                              Now the other thing I'm going to say is that 1) your dealership may suck. They had a fix for my problem instantly as soon as I told them what was wrong.
                              2) If you want our help quickly make your question very specific from the get go: ie
                              "Everytime I go over a bump I hear a thunking noise seeming to come form the rear on both sides, I took it to the dealer....."

hope they fix it for you, but I don't believe it's any emergancy repair, you can drive it out there.
                              Visit My Garage

Comment

Working...
                              X