Aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aerodynamics

How much is the "air drag coefficient" (i dont know is this the right way to say it in english, im thinking about the number which has a Cw as a measure unit) for a 1st gen pro?
    Thank you
    One day you are born,
    The next big milestone
    you discover go zoom-zoom
    you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

well it ranges from .39 to .43 depending on who measured it and with what scale model. but to summ that up. the car acts like a sail in the wind. doing more pushing than flowing with a high drag coefficent. after 130moh the cars stability is questionable. after 170 i dotn know what will happen without proper air contol.
    Last edited by Protoss; 02-13-2004, 04:05 PM.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

move your decimal point to the left
      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
      -93 MR2, 129 ES
      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
        well it ranges from 3.9 to 4.3 depending on who measured it and with what scale model. but to summ that up. the car acts like a sail in the wind. doing more pushing than flowing with a high drag coefficent. after 130moh the cars stability is questionable. after 170 i dotn know what will happen without proper air contol.
        thats when the trunk mounted park bench comes into play

Comment

sorry i meant 3.8 x 10^-1

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Who uses scientific notation for 10^-1? :p:

"Mazderati"
            91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
            Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
            Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
            AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

who actually understands half the **** brock says??? :p: honestly.. he's the man with the brains.. i don't ask questions. only thing i plan on engineering in my life is burger aerodynamics

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                well it ranges from .39 to .43 depending on who measured it and with what scale model. but to summ that up. the car acts like a sail in the wind. doing more pushing than flowing with a high drag coefficent. after 130moh the cars stability is questionable. after 170 i dotn know what will happen without proper air contol.
                I still think that your scale models are unrepresentative of what the actual drag coefficient is. There is no way that the Protege can do 122mph (according to Car and Driver) with 125 hp with a drag coefficient that high.
                David Avard
                '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

then lets call the lack of power a "safety" system.

the advantages of a windtunnel is that you can take the car body to such speeds to see what would happen. It might not be probable, but sometimes it is fun to see what would happen if....

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Agreed though, my *guess* would be more along the lines of .36 ish...
                    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                    -93 MR2, 129 ES
                    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Protege aerodynamics = Refridgerator!
                      Eat ****.

Comment

So, if the Protege is such a brick/fridge, why can it go faster, with less hp, than many (most) sub-compacts and compacts? Admittedly, it is geared favorably for top speed (120mph is pretty close to the power peak in 5th), but I don't think it is as bad as you think it is.
                        David Avard
                        '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                        '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                        '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

the pro is not geared for top speed.
                          Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Davard
                            I still think that your scale models are unrepresentative of what the actual drag coefficient is. There is no way that the Protege can do 122mph (according to Car and Driver) with 125 hp with a drag coefficient that high.
                            Car and Driver must not have actually tested it because that figure is off by at least 8.5mph.

I say this not to boast that I speed, or that I am proud of having driven that fast.

I caught myself once driving faster than 122mph in the middle of the night during *cough* a street race. The speedo was still climbing, although slowly, but I let off because I feel that that speed on a public road is reckless and dangerous.

I know my car is not stock, but I doubt that it is so powerful that I can go faster than Car and Driver says the car should. The car is lowered about 2 inches. I did not have my bodykit on at the time, I have the SOHC tranny (which might explain something) and I had my Z-rated tires on the car. Also, it was about 0 degrees Celcius (32 degrees Fahrenheit) the aiport I was driving next to is at an altitude of 117 feet. Also, there were zero modifications made to the motor at that point, other than the head conversion.

One car that definately does have a crappy drag coefficiant is the P5.... I've heard a bunch of people saying that with the roof rack, they could'nt get past 109mph.... That's pretty slow for a top speed.... My car can do that in fourth.
                            Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

My car can go at least 115 in fourth.... Then again, it's a 4-speed auto.....
                              ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                              X