MX3 rear subframe the same?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX3 rear subframe the same?????

i read on a page that the rear swaybar from the mx3 is 22-24mm... not positive on that being as i have no one to confirm this for me.

my question. Is the rear subframe of the MX3 the same... holding the swaybar the same as the protege'/323 if so.. then the swaybar in the rear could be swapped from the mx3 to the protege... that would make a minimum of 1-3 mm difference in upgraded size compared to the protege one...
    in 90 the rear bars on all protege'/323's was 19mm i know they upgraded the bar in later years but still the mx3 bar would be an upgrade.
    maybe the same size as the suspension techniques one???

anyone out ther have any information on this??? its a worthy subject to pursue.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

I would say, take a trip to your local Junkyard..
    If I see any junked mx-3's in my hood. I will pull one off for sure.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

It won't fit, and if it did, it wouldn't matter. the rear swaybar sizes vary from 19, 20 and 21mm. Mine is 21mm (same size as rear protege bar) BUT the MX3's use droplinks, not endlinks. IOW the bar is attached with horizontal bolts threaded through a vertical rod (the drop link). Protege swaybars use a bolt that uses spacersa nd bushings and goes between one of the trailing arms and the swaybar itself.
      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

If you can get your hand on a complete rear end of an mx-3 v6 it's larger by 35mm from a protege. I wanted to convert the front and the rear but haven't find any good one in the scrap yard. The protege has 1430mm track in front and rear and the mx-3 has 1460mm front and 1465mm rear. and they are suppose to fit bolt-on there's one on the site that has an lx 93 like me that's has done the rear.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/protila
        Transmission mechanic

Comment

by track do you mean the whole sub frame is larger?
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
            by track do you mean the whole sub frame is larger?
            yes, the track (i believe) is the measurement from center to center of the OEM tire or could be to the rotor, not totally sure.

As in "wide track" how the Grand Prix pushes the wheels out further...Wheel offset can change the contact track, but i would think the OEM measures from a static part, like the rotor.

Comment

ok... so changing to a V6- mx3 rear subframe would make my wheels wider? by 35 mm?

what part of the mx3 frame is larger?? the TTL?
              would it defeat the purpose to change over to the protege TTL? after bolting on the v6 rear?

is the drop link way of mounting the rear sway bar a better design?

Comment

I doubt it is wider either way. Its possible, but also remember that the proteges stock tire size is 185/60R14, and the MX3 is 205/55R15....the difference is about 20-30mm in the track from that alone.

Comment

so what about the drop link design over the bushing design we have?

Comment

its completely different. read my first reply to your question.

Comment

here is a ghetto example of how the droplinks are and how endlinks are
                      Attached Files

Comment

well you never answered weather or not the drop link design is better than the current protege design most of us have... i took a trip to the j-yard and saw what the difference is... just wondering which one is better now.

Comment

seeing how droplinks are imopssible and expensive to find, i'd say endlinks are better.

Comment

thanks

Comment

i went to the junkyard about a month ago and found a v6 mx3 i tried a couple of things that would fit my 323 here's some of the lists.

1) the seats will bolt rite up
                              2) the front lower strut bars will but u will need a special bolt to fit on the control arm. ( btw its heavy, ur better off buying the aftermarket one)
                              3) the rear lower strut bars fits perfect and its visible from the rear.
                              4) the rear muffler will fit the back to but u have to get it welded back there.

im thinking about getting the sway bars but if its too much of a hassle i'll just get the S/T.

hope that helps........

Comment

Working...
                              X