In car computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In car computer

I do computer repair/tech work and build my own computers so i have a million parts around the house. I was thinking about building one for my pro, but i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions, like where to put the cpu/case and what to make a case for it out of since a normal computer case doesnt really fit anywhere and is pretty ugly.

Thank you

Try the glove box or perhaps under the passengers seat. You could get one of the new little cube systems and put it in there. Good luck!
    2002 Blackmica P5
    CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

i have the parts at home to build it myself ... is wood alright to use for a box though? im not really sure what to use for that, and does anyone have a computer in their pro yet? thanks for the suggestions ... im thinking bout under the passenger seat.

Comment

I don't think wood would be a good choice because it holds heat. If I were you, I'd just buy a small cube case or make one from aluminum. I don't think it'd be too much $$.
        2002 Blackmica P5
        CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

I'd say put the box in the trunk... it'll stay cooler and you can run all the fans you want and the noise won't be an issue.

Also, read through this for some ideas.

Comment

I remember reading somehwere that someone used a aluminum cash box from office depot or something like that and it worked really well

Comment

look at mini itx motherboards and cases, too

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                look at mini itx motherboards and cases, too
                that would be the best way to do it, but he already said that he has all the parts. I don't think he wants to spend extra cash on parts...

I would buy one of those slim profile cases (rack mountable), get a motherboard with everything integrated (since you won't be able to plug in a Radeon 9800 in a slim case), and put this under the passenger seat.

Comment

thanks for the help guys , the motherboard i have does have onboard video, the cash box idea sounds like a good one ... and so does the rackmount server ... well ill go out looking sunday and start that ... ill let you guys know how it goes in case anyone else feels like doing it.

Thanks again for all the help

Comment

what do you plan on doing with that comp. once it's in the car?

Comment

to tell you the truth, i really dont know ... originally i was going to use it to do all my music but that would become a hassle, having to turn it on and off everytime i get in and out of the car ... considering it is going to be in the trunk most likely so it doesnt make a lot of noise. Its just something that i can do at the moment without spending a money, if anyone has any good ideas for what i can do with it let me know.

Comment

could make it like a laptop so that whenever the power inverter goes off, it automatically goes into hibernate mode and then have it come out of it whenever a powersource is connected (when you start the car again)

Comment

I actually have a question along those lines, since you're a computer guy. I'm planning to do a computer setup sometime down the road and I was wondering if there's a way to make it start up as fast as my stereo would, probably in about 10 seconds or so. My first idea was to have it boot off a RAM disk but that would be too expensive and it seems like there must be a better way.

Comment

I've only heard of booting off of RAM. You can't have WindowsXP boot that fast otherwise... Maybe if you use Linux you can.

Comment

linux acutally takes some time to boot but you never have to shut linux off, you can clear the ram while its running, unlike windows ... the best thing to do is have windows xp and not install anything except what you want to use to paly music ... a computer with nothing on but windows xp and the necessary software to run the computer will boot very fast dont know if its 10 seconds fast but its quick ...

Comment

Working...
                              X