Bigger radiator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger radiator?

I know this discussion has gone on for years, but I'm wondering if anybody has stumbled onto a larger radiator than the "racing Civic" rad that several of us have purchased. While it has done a good job, I still get a little nervous about temperature and have always been thinking about finding a larger radiator in order to increase fluid capacity as well as cooling capabilities. Has anyone come across anything new? I'm going to start seriously searching as well as I'm hoping that this thread will be used as a discussion place for creative possibilities. Don't be afraid to chime in. Pictures are always welcome.

I think I have room for a radiator that is a few inches wider than the one I'm using now, but that's about it. I may have room for a radiator that is a little thicker also. So, if it were designed the way I would hope it could be, then it would still allow for around one more quart of fluid.

I have a Isuzu 280DT Aluminum radiator in my GTX, but you need a front mount inter-cooler. There are pics of it are here and how it fits.
    Last edited by 323GTX-RSA; 06-22-2011, 09:00 AM.
    My Hiroshima Screamer

Comment

I sold the huge radiator that Mark Meller built for me. Worked great.

However, you can have your stock radiator recored with a three-row core. That might work best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by BFMRGTX View Post
        I sold the huge radiator that Mark Meller built for me. Worked great.

However, you can have your stock radiator recored with a three-row core. That might work best for you.
        That's a thought.....

One additional challenge I have is that I still have my A/C in the car. Therefore, I have a couple of extra components taking up space in the front also.

I started looking again on ebay and have found a couple of prospects. I need to go out and remeasure the front end to see exactly what dimensions I'm dealing with. Also, I'm trying to be very mindful of where the inlet and outlet are to keep the challenges with hoses as simple as possible.

Comment

If you are using a fmic you could just use the dx or se unit in 2 row form. That should be plenty of cooling. I plan on using one in the next hatch project.
          Clay

Comment

How close are the bf and bg rads? It's been too long since I've looked at a bf radiator. the 160 buck BG protege aluminum thing I'm using in the rallycar is a beast and should do the job just fine if it fits.
            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

The additional problem that I've been having is that I mounted a fairly good size oil cooler in front of the radiator figuring that it wasn't going to be that big of a deal. The lines passing through the core support take up some important room that does not allow me to go wider right now. I plan on getting an even large oil cooler but moving it to a new location so that the oil cooler and the radiator are not competing for "clean air" (another summer project)...

But, because of the idea of going big with an oil cooler in a different place, this opens up new options for a larger radiator. That's one of the reasons why I started this thread.

Whatever I end up doing, I'll plan on taking lots of pics so that you can laugh at me..... LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                How close are the bf and bg rads? It's been too long since I've looked at a bf radiator. the 160 buck BG protege aluminum thing I'm using in the rallycar is a beast and should do the job just fine if it fits.
                We could meet up for lunch so that you can compare the size of yours to that of mine.......

Comment

Originally posted by LN323 View Post
                  We could meet up for lunch so that you can compare the size of yours to that of mine.......
                  Lemme hold that closet door open for you.

Bow-chicka-bow-BOWWWW

Comment

You can try Summitracing.com. You can break up their hundreds of results in the perfect size that you need, and inlet/outlet location.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Aw hell man I was thinkin I might hafta hit Teddy's later today. Mah boy's last day of school and all, and I gotta go to kirkland mazda and tacoma screw anyhow...
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                        Aw hell man I was thinkin I might hafta hit Teddy's later today. Mah boy's last day of school and all, and I gotta go to kirkland mazda and tacoma screw anyhow...
                        PM me your number. We can work on getting together. I'm heading for Portland Friday and I'll be back late Saturday night.

I'll call when I get back into town.

Comment

Originally posted by BFMRGTX View Post
                          Lemme hold that closet door open for you.

Bow-chicka-bow-BOWWWW
                          Damn, that oil rig didn't hurt your sarcasm! Didn't even get a laugh/reaction out of Jay..... Must be losing my touch with humor....

BTW, planning on coming down mid October for Laguna Seca. You gonna be around?

Comment

Like I even noticed yer post with a Teddy's burger already in mind...prolly wouldna noticed if you was yellin it to me face under those circumstances! Them fellers make one fiiiiine hamburger...

Comment

Working...
                            X