Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine Light

Probably alot off you guys have already read this
    but i did a search and I coudn't find any threads pretaining to my problem and I don't have the time or the money to go to the dealer and get it checked out.

so here is the situation.

I am driving back from the barber shop, 50 degrees out, very happy, just did well on my exam, and bam, i see the "check engine" light on the damn cluster. i am i am not driving crazy, the car has not moved for a week. there is gas. i got the car checked(everything i add) on Jan6 at the dealer and it got a clean bill of health(is that the term???)

so, i go to autozone and hook those mini computer thing under the dashboard
    and it tells me this

"mixture is lean"

i asked the guy there, he is like, "dunno, don't ask!"
    i reply by saying what a **** head you are and left

so, i was talking to a couple of friends, and they say, reset the ECU
    but before i do that
    what do you guys think that is
    should i take it to the dealer when ever i get a chance
    or should reset the ecu (and if so, how?) and if the problem appears again, take it to the dealer

i really would like your input in this because i am overwhelemed in school work and the next time i could go to the dealer is in two weeks and i need to drive the car for some stuff.

thanks in advance for all your help

(btw, that once happened, and the dealer(where was in farifax, where i am origianlly from, who was the best guy ever) told me that it is just air in the gas, because i didn't close the lid good. but, i have been doing that since then, so, that is kinda weird to happen again.)

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

ok ihad a simular problem it could be 3 things your ecu needs restting your gas cap isn't shut right or the fuse main fuse 30amp it sticks out farther then the rest is blown or not in all the way try these things if it don't do the trick bring it back to the dealer and tell them where to stick it!

Comment

I'm glad someone posted this cause i was getting ready to ask the same question after i had searched and searched, I already know my gas cap is on just fine so I'm gonna try the Ecu and main fuse option...The dealer can stick it after that!
      "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

hey guys, there is an engine fuse, a small one in your fuse box, its like 10 amp, mine blew a couple weeks ago, and all i did was replaced it, and the light went off, try that first, check all the fuses in your fuse box inside your car.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I just checked my fuser box and your right fuq that was my problem thanks!!
          "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

your very welcome chicky
            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

If you had a bank one system lean its P0170 , P0171 or P0172 I can't remember right now, I could be the mass airflow meter . There was a service program for it here in Canada.
              98 protege lx 1.8l
              short ram intake custom
              crane hi-6 ign.
              14 miata alloy wheels
              .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

ok, update
                well, i did as many said here and checked the fuse.
                fuse is ok, still my CEL is on.
                so, today i gave in and went and checked out what is wrong at the dealer.

and what a got is good news and bad news.

good news....The MAF sensor was bad and had to be replaced. that would cost around $500, (according to the dealer), however, it seems that alot of people had problems with that equipment, thus, they extended the warranty on it....so, yey!!!

bad news....the fuel injectors needed to be cleaned. that costs around $120. ouch!!
                plus, the $80 for diagnostics. so, in total, i spent $200 fixing that POS up.
                i was so pissed

but to make it up, the car runs like a dream now.
                very smooth and quiet. i love it!!!! just like new!

so, i want to share what happened, and see if anybody had the same thing. i wish it was only a fuse!

anyways, i want to thank Lincoln and mazda of richmond and espeically katey because she took good care of me today and actually helped me out in some stuff.

so, if anybody in richmond, wants to get a good experience, go to lincoln and mazda in richmond, on broad street, highly reccommended!!

aight, got to get back to this night mare i call studying
                cya around

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

Comment

so, in other words.. they couldnt charge you for the MAF under warranty, but they bent you over on the injectors? i'm gonna call BS on that one. ****in lames, some dealers. well, how many miles on are the car?
                  -mike lucero
                  1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                  2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Originally posted by pro00
                    bad news....the fuel injectors needed to be cleaned. that costs around $120. ouch!!
                    plus, the $80 for diagnostics. so, in total, i spent $200 fixing that POS up.
                    Glad they fixed the MAF sensor under warranty. This injector cleaning thing is a common sleazy service tactic- while they get you thinking they're doing you a favor by fixing something for "free" (Even though the repair would have been approved and paid by Mazda), they hit you with something like this that the car didn't really need. A newish car like a 2000 Protege doesn't have dirty injectors- hell, my '91 doesn't have dirty injectors.
                    Chris
                    '91 Protege LX
                    '99 Miata sport

Comment

well, it is my first time with the scene of the "dirty fuel injectors"
                      my car is a protege 2000, so, it is 3.5 yrs old, and about 23K miles on it.

well, i agree with you, it was hard to swallow at first, but, this car is with me for a long time, at least 5 yrs to come and i have to take care of it because i basically don't have money for a new one. maybe i shouldn've just said thanks for the new MAF and walked out.

so, you guys think the dealer got me on this one?

and yes prototype, they did not charge me for the change of the MAF
                      is it true it costs around $500 for a new one?

Mods :

My car gallery

My car in silver

Comment

dude for future reference, valvoline charges $60 for fuel system flush.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
                          dude for future reference, valvoline charges $60 for fuel system flush.

lol....ok, thanks man. i'll remember that

oh, and while we are at that topic
                          do those fuel injector cleaners actually help? the one you insert with your gas every so and so?
                          or is it some water and sugar?(just jking)

Mods :

My car gallery

My car in silver

Comment

pro00, last i heard.. yes.. MAF's were very pricey. that's true. but the injector thing, that just pisses me off. 23k miles on it.. you barely drive it, how could they be dirty? some of the guys on the board are nearing 100k on their 2000 pro's. i've got almost 50k on mine and it runs like a champ. it was just a sneaky dealer gettin some money out of you, since they had to work on the car for free. and, fuel injector cleaners, that's a discussion which you'd get a thousand different opinions on. i say BG 44k is the best to use. It's around $20 a pop, but you don't need it that often. I ran it through my protege a couple times, and didn't notice too much of a difference (it's still a baby, i shouldnt notice one) but then ran it through the 323 gtx when I bought it, and damn did it make a difference. It's not like normal fuel additives.
                            -mike lucero
                            1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                            2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

exactly, i get the valvoline treatment on every 30k pm.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X