Electrical Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Problems

I was coming home Sunday night and after being in the car for about 10 minutes driving back to my apartment, I am behind a black truck. As I am at the stoplight, I rev the engine and can see my headlights go from slightly dim to brighter. Ever since I installed the new battery and upgraded the wiring, I can just be at idle and rev the engine and my headlights will flicker brighter as the RPMs raise up. Is my battery going dead or is there some kind of wire problem? I took it in the past to the dealership in which every time (3 total), it came back as normal operating range in voltage. I wonder if it has decreased more to the point that this is happening. BTW, the air wasn't on and the stereo was off when this has occured.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? Thank you in advanced. DAMN Electrical System! That is my only gripe about Mazda Proteges.
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

NOBODY?!

Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
      NOBODY?!

lol, impatient, aren't we?

there's a pretty simple explanation for the lights getting brighter. at idle, the alternator puts out crap for power. probably like 30 amps, but i'm not sure. if you were cranking the system earlier, and the battery is not at full charge, then the alt will be struggling to charge it, and the voltage will be slightly less than normal. when you rev the engine, you get full power out of the alt, and the voltage increases. now if you've had the system off or at low volume for a few days, to ensure full battery charge, and it still does that, then either the battery or alt is having issues.

Comment

double check your physcial battery connectors, make sure they are good and tight. Also clean off any corrosion (even if there is none, clean off the posts anyway) double check the alternator connections and then the physical ground from the battery to the chassis.

Comment

Will do both. Thanks. One thing about the new posts from knukonceptz, is that it doesn't go all the way down, however, it seems snug. I'll have to check in to it. I had to use a hammer and tap down the negative terminal to the post, even with the screws loosened all the way.

Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
            Will do both. Thanks. One thing about the new posts from knukonceptz, is that it doesn't go all the way down, however, it seems snug. I'll have to check in to it. I had to use a hammer and tap down the negative terminal to the post, even with the screws loosened all the way.

yeah, my buddy has a tool to seperate them a bit. it's bad to tap down on the post, though, cause it'll loosen it up. if you can, pry it apart with a screwdriver. then put it on and tighten accordingly.

Comment

I'll give it a whirl.

Groundkit

Comment

You must have the wrong termial. The posts are different sizes for POS and NEG, you must have 2 POS's. (hehehe, that's positive's, not pieces of ****) Shouldn't have to tap em on.

Comment

^ No they are positive and negative and are placed on the correct post. The posts are also the same size. I don't know wtf is up with it that I had to tap it down. I think the terminal ring is so deep versus the post itself. This is on the spiral cell battery Blue got me. THANKS A LOT BLUE!!!! (hee hee)

Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                    You must have the wrong termial. The posts are different sizes for POS and NEG, you must have 2 POS's. (hehehe, that's positive's, not pieces of ****) Shouldn't have to tap em on.
                    in my case the terminals are the same but they came with two adapter rings each, so they can fit either terminal. just so you know...

Comment

Working...
                    X