MacGyver CV Boot repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacGyver CV Boot repair

So while doing the front brake lines last week I noticed yet ANOTHER problem with the Tracer - both outer CV boots were cracked open. Apparently they hadn't been that way tooo long, as there was still grease in there. I knew I couldn't leave it that way for long, but I don't have the tools to remove the CV joint to replace the boot, nor the funds to take it to a shop to have it done. Oh what to do? Time for a MacGyver style repair, using a wheelbarrow inner tube, some cable ties, and fresh grease.

- Cleaned out the old gritty grease and repacked with fresh grease.
    - Cut a length of the inner tube long enough to wrap around the boot with an inch or so of overlap.
    - Cut two small slits in the top (the part of the tube that would be facing the wheelbarrow tire) portion of the inner tube toward the middle, about half an inch apart.
    - Did the same on the bottom (the part of the tube that would be facing the wheelbarrow wheel) portion of the inner tube.
    - Ran a cable tie into the tube, out and back in the slits at the top, and back out the other end of the tube.
    - Ran another cable tie through bottom slits in the same way.
    - Wrapped the tube around the boot, with the bottom portion toward the wheel since that end of the boot and tube are both narrower.
    - Pulled each cable tie through its lock a few clicks.
    - Went back and forth from one tie to the other pulling tighter and tighter, making sure both sides stayed completely over the ends of the boot.
    - When it got tight enough I tucked one end of the tube inside the other end.
    - Kept pulling tight until both sides were as tight as they could be.
    - Wrapped another cable tie around the middle portion of the tube nice and snug.
    - Cut the ends off the cable ties.
    - Test drove and checked to make sure everything was snug.
    - Repeated on the other side.

I then cleaned up and drove to work. I checked both sides again after I got to the office, and found that everything was still exactly as I set it. The CV axle is completely covered, there's no seepage of grease, and the tube covering the boot is solid as a rock, yet flexible enough to turn as I turn the wheel.

I know some of you are going to ridicule the idea, but oh well. It works. I couldn't just leave things as they were, that would be like begging for the CV joints to fail. So I did it this way, and so far so good.

Sounds interesting. Got pics? I am not usually a fan for rigging stuff up like this, but I'd be curious to see how it holds after a month or 2.

Comment

Git r dun!
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
        Git r dun!
        lol.thats about right.

Comment

I knew there was a redneck joke coming my way. And although I do indeed have VERY deep redneck roots I myself am not one.

Here's the requested pic:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	0802110758.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1228617

Yee-haw y'all.

Comment

guy, you forgot to use duct tape. Not an authentic MacGuyver Repair™ unless there's duct tape...

--sarge

Comment

I don't believe you because you don't have a mullet.

Comment

No joke, compliment. It's OK do go redneck and all thereifixedit.com, IF it works. Us rally guys do stuff like this at service intervals allllll the time. Press on regardless, y'all.
                '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

if it works .. do it ..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
                    guy, you forgot to use duct tape. Not an authentic MacGuyver Repairâ„¢ unless there's duct tape...
                    How's this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0802110758a.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1228618

Better?

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                      No joke, compliment. It's OK do go redneck and all thereifixedit.com, IF it works. Us rally guys do stuff like this at service intervals allllll the time. Press on regardless, y'all.
                      Well, I didn't mind when I thought it was a joke. It is kind of funny after all. But like you said, IF it works. And so far it's good. I actually got the idea from an awful youtube video a guy made showing how to patch the boot with a bike inner tube:

youtube.com/watch?v=PIanZCLILIM

His method I wasn't too impressed with, but it gave me a starting point.

Comment

Sheeit I might try it, I have 2 pinholes in inner boots and don't feel like replacing em...

Comment

This is why I buy parts with a lifetime warranty so I don't have to rig **** like this. I wouldn't trust that for half a minute. you do know, once a boot's cracked it lasts quite a while before the joint starts to make noise. even longer for it to actually fail.
                          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                          VF10 powered!
                          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                            This is why I buy parts with a lifetime warranty so I don't have to rig **** like this. I wouldn't trust that for half a minute. you do know, once a boot's cracked it lasts quite a while before the joint starts to make noise. even longer for it to actually fail.
                            Ok, but here's the thing. Things, actually.

First, I bought the car used, so no control on what parts were on there.

Second, as I mentioned it's not the cost of the replacement part that's the problem here. New boots are cheap. It's the labor and ability to do the work I do not possess.

Third, yes I know it takes a while before the joint starts to pop, and even longer before it actually fails. When I was a kid I ran my old 91 MX6 for around 18 months with popping joints before I had to get em replaced. However, I also know that as soon as the boot is opened up you start losing grease and picking up grit and other road debris which will shorten the life of the joint. My goal here is to make it last as long as possible, so I just wanted to get the crap already accumulated out of there and keep any new crap out. This does that. If I'd done this to my old MX6 back in the day those joints would have lasted me a LOT longer.

Comment

I was laughing with you man,not at you.(mostly) Lets see how long it holds.Looks like its working better than those split boots you buy at the jobber,now theres a piece of crap!!

Comment

Working...
                              X