Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New wheel bearings, feels kinda tight.

Hi,

I just finished installing wheel bearings into the rear hub assembly. I haven't done wheel bearings before, it kinda feels tight. It's really smooth, just feels slow.

Is this normal?

I installed them using the FSM method, as well as using the "old inner race with slit cut into it" trick. I put the seals in the same way I removed them, but looking at rocketman's bearing guide I have them backwards.

Although it looks like he installs them backwards to how he found them at the start:

Yeah it's normal.

Comment

Just to clarify how I orientated it, the groove with the little spring in it is facing the wheel bearing. Google search seems to agree with that.

Is that how you install both inner and outer?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mx-3_4evr View Post
        Yeah it's normal.

How tight is normal though? I'm worried once I tighten the axle nut on at the end that they are going to seize up.

I've put the nut on fairly tight and the wheel moves freely and smoothly, but the bearings still feel tight (granted it is going through the diff).

I can't put the nuts on all way until the cars on the ground and the brakes are back on.

Comment

Just to update for anyone who may read this in the future.

I was really worried that the bearings weren't installed right because the rear wheels did not spin really freely. I put on a wheel and jammed it with a block of wood. Then torqued it all the way up to 125ft*lbs. The resistance did not increase in the wheel.

I'm assuming it's ok, but when I drive it when I'm all done I'll get out after a few kms and check to see how much heats coming off the rear hubs.

If any other member has anything to add, please do.

I feel more relaxed now.

Comment

Late to the game, but dont be alarmed if you feel heat either. Disc brakes give off more heat then wheel bearings will depending on how hard you drove it.
            Mazda
            1988 Black 323 GT
            DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

what a horrible wheel bearing design
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks for the compassion Ryan... :D
                Mazda
                1988 Black 323 GT
                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

yep, it's bad enough that if i still had a gtx I'd swap hubs with bg stuff.
                    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
                    X