Cam question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam question?

Does anybody know if someone makes a double overhead cam for our cars? If so, where can I find one, if not, where can I get a good single cam for my 2.0 engine. Thanks.
    [

I don't know about the double-overhead but I've heard Unorthodox(spelling may be off a bit) makes a good single cam and I'm sure AEM would too. Check www.corksport.com too!
    "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

I'm sorry, maybe I'm being stupid on this, but isn't the 2.0 already a dual-cam engine? I know at least mine is (says so on the cover) and I thought they all were.

Comment

correct, they ALL are DOHC motors.
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

you can get a good set of cams from www.shaneracing.com
          they are the same cams listed at corksport...but shaneracing has both the intake and exhaust...corksport only has the intake cam.
          i have these, and i love them.
          -Chris
          2003 Spicy MSP

2003 Mazda Protege5 - traded

2001 Mazda MP3 #1476 - sold

Comment

Thanks for all of the info. When it comes to engines I'm pretty stupid. I really don't know anything, I just know that you get more hp out of a dual setup than a single setup and since my car comes stock with only 130 I figured it was a single. I want to try an get more hp but I don't have the money for a turbo and probably never will. So far all I have is a Tom's motorsport catback exhaust, Injen CAI, and this weekend I'm going to install an Unorthodox racing pulley. If you have any suggestions on what I else I can do on a low budget, feel free to let me know. Thanks.
            [

Comment

Originally posted by Topher
              you can get a good set of cams from www.shaneracing.com
              they are the same cams listed at corksport...but shaneracing has both the intake and exhaust...corksport only has the intake cam.
              i have these, and i love them.
              -Chris
              Did you get just the cams, or would you recomend the cams and the gears?
              [

Comment

Originally posted by customprotege
                I just know that you get more hp out of a dual setup than a single setup and since my car comes stock with only 130 I figured it was a single.
                This is incorrect, just so you know.
                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

the DOHCconfig may... (i emphasize may) be more efficent but the 130 hp sounds a bit off. i thought it had a 168hp.... (i may be wrong)

as for more power get a cam regrind, port and polish your head, valve job, research a larger TB, exaust, adj cam gears(for tuning), yadda, ya.
                  When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                  Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                  Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                  So his engine he goosed
                  With much too much boost,
                  And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

The stock 2.0L engine is rated at 130. I think the new 3 is rated at 148 (2.0).
                    '03 Sunlight Silver ES/5sp
                    THUNDER 4-1 RACING HEADER
                    Racing Beat Exhaust, SPD Racing SRI
                    Eibach Pro-kit, MP3 ECU, MP3 Foot Pedals
                    Powdercoated stockers wrapped in Yoko AVS ES100s
                    Kartboy SS/Knob/Bushings

Comment

hey just reinforcing what jesse said, we have hornet class stock car racing which are front wheel drive 4 cylinders, and there is a sohc neon that has yet to be beat by any of the dohc...rules are as many mods as you wanna make, and only n/a.
                      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

168 i think is the FS_ZE, not our FS_DE.. the FS_DET is 170hp (the MSP)
                        the FS_DE 2.0L is 130hp. 1.6L is 103hp.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                        RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                        MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

shhhhhhh....keep the 1.6 power a secret.
                          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

that's it's only 103?
                            like 80 or so at the wheels?
                            cuz 103hp isn't that bad.. it's over the 100hp mark.. i mean.. it's 103hp... 103hp is more than an amish buggy..

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                            RB springs
                            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                            MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

lol barely,

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X