Scorch3's 91 DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scorch3's 91 DX

So I bought a BG. I got her for 700 but seriously in need of some suspension work but seemingly damn near rust free. 330XXX kms on it but the engine and clutch seem to be in excellent working condition. Axles and rear struts have been replaced he even had the receipts. Here she is the day I bought her:

07/28/11

Issues:
    - [strike]FP ball joint is absolutely shot, like unsafe for highway shot[/strike]
    - FP strut is leaking/clunking
    - Surface rust/bubbling on drivers A-Pillar
    - PO installed an obnoxiously loud cherry bomb
    - [strike]Passenger headlight bulb is blown[/strike]
    - [strike]Broken ass rain guards need to go[/strike]
    - Drivers front door was replaced when someone tried to break in to the car so lock cylinder is different and it isn't on quite right, it drops about 2cm when opened
    - Theres no tach, I'm not even sure I've been to redline yet
    - [strike]Antenna is stuck up and looks silly[/strike]
    - Clutch engages super late

So before modding commences this is the list to take care of and then we shall see.

Pile of parts that came with (spare tail lights are missing):

Extra set of winters with good tread:

Slapped the 16x7 +42 with 205/45s off the old 3rd gen on to her.

Stock vs. New:

Found these under the hub caps

Me and the GF cleaned the whole interior today. Removed the seats vacuumed everything and shampoo'd the seats as well as scrubbing all the hard surfaces and throwing away the ****ty smelling air fresheners.

GF cleaning a seat:

Everything clean, seats still out:

Found some rust in the trunk. Its missing the donut and the PO left the drain plugs out but i popped them back in. Little holes above the drain hole on the left.

Comment

Tranny seems to be acting up as well now, grinds going in to second when shifting quick at high rpm and also I'm having some trouble selecting reverse, ideas anyone?

Comment

your likely low on transmission fluid-that will cause shifting issues.
        drain your fluid & refill it with fresh.

and note. slow shift these gearboxes.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Definitely will check that tomorrow, just finished a 60 hour work week. Time to relax and get some work on the car done. I wouldn't say I was shifting fast but definitely not slow, thanks for the tip.

Comment

I agree, low trans fluid or just time to change it.

Car looks good tho!
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Clutch decided to start slipping like crazy tonight, absolutely fin full throttle yesterday now I cant even maintain speed on a steep hill without being in first or second. Noticed a wet spot on the driveway where I parked last night when I got home, looks like oil but its too dark to really tell. Guess I'll figure it out tomorrow...

Comment

rut-row
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Yup. Sucks, I wanted the clutch to last me the winter and then do swap when summer came around. Don't want to drop the change for a new one yet.

Comment

the rear main seal is probably leaking and getting oil on the clutch... The clutch might actually be just fine, just covered in oil...

Removed the trans, remove clutch and flywheel, replace main seal... Brake-kleen the **** out of the clutch and flywheel, reinstall.... Alot of work but wouldnt cost much at all... maybe 20-30 bucks for new seal and a few cans of brake kleen.. ur gunna need atleast 3 cans...

PS: what is that tube thats running over the exhaust manifold and looks like its going into the intake box... never seen that before..
                    Last edited by The Pile; 08-24-2011, 04:01 AM.

1992 MX-3 GS - KLZE
                    1997 Probe GT

Its not a BP05.... Its a BPOS... BIG PIECE OF ****

Comment

As best I can tell its some sort of resonator for intake. It runs sort of along the top of the radiator.

Comment

I was reading the Chilton manual for the car and it indicates a way to adjust the engagement point from the slave cylinder as well as the pedal adjustment. However, searching here seems to indicate the only adjustment is at the pedal and looking at the slave cylinder I'm not seeing anything so I would tend to agree. The pedal seems to be in roughly the correct position according the manual (hard to tell since it measures form the firewall and there is stuff on it) and the adjustment for the pedal only has a couple of thread left showing so I would think thats not the problem. However the clutch does engage incredibly late there is no free play at all at the top of the pedal.

I also have issues getting in to reverse sometimes and wonder if it might be related, is it possible to have issues getting in to reverse because the clutch is too worn? I'm thinking maybe its the slave cylinder... I don't really know. I've never worked on a tranny before and I'm a bit baffled. I don't really mind doing the clutch but I'd at least like to put it off for a few weeks.

Comment

It's easy to adjust the pushrod if it's out of wack, I use my line wrench since its 10mm and 12mm on either ends, and that's all you need for that job.

Verify the color of the fluid leaking out though, if it's engine oil, probably the rear main as noted, or if it's trans fluid, it could be something else...

Pile has it right tho if it's just oil, take a metal scrub pad, shop towels and a **** load of brake cleaner to it so when you do the final cleaning with the towels, there's no residue transfered over to the towel (aka really damn clean lol)

Otherwise, a new clutch kit would run you about $150 or less shipped, plus flywheel re-surfacing.
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't 5 speed trans fluid look almost identical to motor oil? I'll put a tray under the car for a while and catch a drip I suppose.

Comment

Gear oil can look the same as fresh engine oil. It usually doesn't get black though. It has a very distinctive smell.
                              sigpic
                              1992 Familia GT-X
                              1988 323 GTX
                              2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                              X