installing rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing rims

What's a good place to get rims/tires installed in the states?
    I would like to do it myself, but i don't have the tools or the knowledge to do it right.

What should be done when I get this done? Alignment, etc...

I remember reading something about driving your car a bit before you get it aligned... is true? if so, how far to drive?

I'm just going down to the US to buy rims/tires and get them installed while i'm down there... so i don't want them falling off on the ride home.

Thanks,

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

thats a good question freak, if you buying tires and wheels from the same place they should mount and balance them, but i dont know if you need an alignment or not, i mean i would think maybe if you went to some monster wheels and hella wide tires, but the driving for a while part if only if you install new suspension...
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

you don't need to get your car aligned if you are just replacing the tires but...
      if you haven't had you car aligned in the past year or so you might want to have it done while you are there. This is to protect your expensive new tires. My tires cost more than the wheels? Where's the logic in that?
      'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
      -Dean
      2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
      18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
      Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
      MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
      Injen CAI - Polished
      Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
      DaveB trim rings
      Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
      Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
      Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
      Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
      Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
      Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
      Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
      Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

i'm getting tires 'n rims from wheelmax. i'm trying to find somewhere other than my gf's uncle to ship the stuff. then i'll get them installed.
        i'm going from 180/60/14 tires/rims to 205/40/17 tires/rims.
        i'm hoping they'll be shipping nangkang (or whatever the name is) tires with my rims.. i'm getting the racing beat springs installed in March sometime... but that's not that big a drop.. and then the rims/tires get put on in April-May

RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Yes, have it aligned. If you are just getting new tires than you don't need one but if you are changing wheel/tire size than you need to have it aligned.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
          Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
          I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

thats good to know.
            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

its always a good idea to get your sh** aligned after making a change in tire size or suspension... u can checn "theMAN"s FAQ also...

MeeN
              1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
              1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
              2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
              2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

yeah.. i've read through it a few times.. i think that's where i figured i should get an alignment... but for me it was a question of driving a bit before aligning.. i know i've heard that somewhere, but i want to know if it's something i read by a tard.. or a valid point.

RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMania
                  Yes, have it aligned. If you are just getting new tires than you don't need one but if you are changing wheel/tire size than you need to have it aligned.
                  Not ture. You don't need to get an alignment if your are changing your wheel/tire combo. If that was true, I should've had my car aligned at least 10 times last year. Put your new wheels on now and wait until the springs are installed........then get an alignment.
                  -------------------------
                  '91 LX
                  '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                  -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                  well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

If your tire diameter changes??? and your offset changes??? are u sure? I figured there would be a change in the total moment applied at your ball joints or something, that would change your camber... Whatever... not doing one every so often saves the money... and if it doesnt have to be done... whoo hoooo >> Peace...

Ameeners...
                    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Working...
                    X