323GT Upgrades......3" DP/SS log Mani, T3/T4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323GT Upgrades......3" DP/SS log Mani, T3/T4

Well I got the job to upgrade the stock setup on this Mazda BF. Plans included a new 304 SS log manifold, T3/T4, front mount I/C, 2 1/2" charge piping, 3" 304 SS DP with SS V-band ends, and Tial 38mmWG & BOV. Here are the progress pics: (Sorry for the BB pics I forgot to take my camera with me)

Tacked up the mani and added a V-band to the 5-bolt flange

I really didn"t want to do another "log" so I started to make a "mini-ram"

I got to that point and mocked it up on the car, mounted the turbo, and realized that the turbo was way too low in the bay. So that idea was scrapped. Had I figured that out before I would have ordered more material to do a tubular.

So back to the "log"

Everything in position:

I used that style I/C because that car is so rare that the customer didn't want the bumper to be cut in any way.

Wastegate flange needs to be added:

Close-up of the welds:

I'm waiting on the 90 degree silicone hoses and oil lines so I can finish mock up the pipes.

Stay Tuned more updates soon!
    Last edited by spiceisler; 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM.

Wow very cool...awesome project...is this car going to be on EFI. T3/T4 seems like a large \ laggy turbo for a B6

Comment

Originally posted by slownrusty View Post
      Wow very cool...awesome project...is this car going to be on EFI. T3/T4 seems like a large \ laggy turbo for a B6
      It was the customer's choice of turbo so I'm just doing the fabrication, but you are right. I will reccomend something more in the lines of a GT28.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Nice welds! I did some welding yesterday with my new welder. Turns out it's not easy. ha. Subbin' for more progress.
          sigpic
          1992 Familia GT-X
          1988 323 GTX
          2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Love the progress so far. The bb pix are ok ,so no need to worry to much about the quality as these pix are still good. I'm officially subbed.
            Last edited by mazkam; 09-28-2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
              Nice welds! I did some welding yesterday with my new welder. Turns out it's not easy. ha. Subbin' for more progress.
              Thanks......I'm self taught! Which welder did you get?

Originally posted by mazkam View Post
              Love the progress so far. The bb pix are ok ,so no need to worry to much about the quality as these pix are still good. I'm officially subbed.
              I am always amazed at how "us" Carribean ppl, have to improvise because parts are not always readily available.

I mocked up the charge pipes so I will weld those later today.

Waiting on the following:
              2 1/2" V-bands for completion of the DP
              Tial BOV flange

I will post latest pics later.
              Last edited by spiceisler; 09-28-2011, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Wow! No chance of you offering that style Manifold for sale would you? Im at the point of needing one to bolt to a T3 Flange GT28. Would also be interested in a fabbed up DP. PM me some prices as I need to put this built motor to use.
                Mazda
                1988 Black 323 GT
                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
                  Wow! No chance of you offering that style Manifold for sale would you? Im at the point of needing one to bolt to a T3 Flange GT28. Would also be interested in a fabbed up DP. PM me some prices as I need to put this built motor to use.
                  PM'ed

Comment

very nice work that very much what i want to do to my car aswell.

Comment

Well........... completed the project and the car is with the customer now. Here are the end results:

Dump tube and 3" DP

Vids:

Exhaust clip:

Cruising on the highway:

Small burnout:

Comment

anything changed with the internals? and what management is this running?

saw the burnout clip.......... I like the fab work but im less than impressed with the rest.
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                          anything changed with the internals? and what management is this running?

saw the burnout clip.......... I like the fab work but im less than impressed with the rest.
                          I don't know the details of the engine or management nor did we get into it (on the highway) where I was able to put it on video. The car hits 20lbs easy and it really pulls.

Comment

what size is the remainder of the exhaust? 3" DP into what size going down the tunnel, turning (2) 90* bends and over the axle into that HORRIFICALLY nasty rear muffler that sounds even worse??

I had a heck of a time getting 2.5" over the rear suspension... bravo if you did full 3" with manderal individual bends.

t3/t4 is too much for 4cyl engines twice the displacement of the 1.6... gt28 would be a good upper RPM choice. I'd think more mainstream... TD05-14b,-16g heck even -Super 16... I know my 1.725463 L... (lol) whatever it ended up LOVES the TD05-14b with a few lil tweaks, almost a -16g...

Red sure does look nice on that body... I like the BMW style wing on the trunk lid too.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by TX323GT View Post
                              what size is the remainder of the exhaust? 3" DP into what size going down the tunnel, turning (2) 90* bends and over the axle into that HORRIFICALLY nasty rear muffler that sounds even worse??

I had a heck of a time getting 2.5" over the rear suspension... bravo if you did full 3" with manderal individual bends.

t3/t4 is too much for 4cyl engines twice the displacement of the 1.6... gt28 would be a good upper RPM choice. I'd think more mainstream... TD05-14b,-16g heck even -Super 16... I know my 1.725463 L... (lol) whatever it ended up LOVES the TD05-14b with a few lil tweaks, almost a -16g...

Red sure does look nice on that body... I like the BMW style wing on the trunk lid too.

Rob
                              He had an existing 2 1/2", turbo-back, so I reduced it and tied into that. He used the T3/T4 because he got a good deal on it although I do agree the GT28 would have been a better choice. That car hits 20lbs easily with that setup! I had a 14B on my single cam Civic and had to change it for a GT30 so yes, it would have been a nice upgrade from stock, but the T3/T4 suits his needs and he is happy.

BTW...that is the original paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X