Consumer Reports November 2011 Car Wax Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consumer Reports November 2011 Car Wax Tests

Reported in the November 2011 issue of Consumer Reports (CR) magazine.

According to CR, waxes can help protect paint. Some can also improve the shine of oxidized paint, but they won't improve the shine on newer cars because of clear-coating. The best pastes can provide longer protection than liquids. Their testing found ease of use about the same for both types, although some pastes were harder to remove. The following properties were tested:
    Gloss improvement
    Durability
    Ease of removal
    Ease of application
    Cleaning
    Resistance to scratching/hazing
    Compatibility with plastic

In the table below, waxes are listed in order of performance. Although CR listed 12 waxes in this category, only the top 7 will be listed as those falling below were not recommended for consideration by CR. None was rated excellent overall.

Liquid or Gel Wax (Easier to apply overall than pastes)
    1. Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 G12718
    2. Nu Finish NF-76
    3. Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax G7016
    4. 3M One Step Cleaner Wax 39006
    5. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax A1216
    6. Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax 05701
    7. Auto Glym Super Resin Polish SRP 2/2

In the table below, waxes are again listed in performance order. While 7 waxes were listed in this category, only the top 2 will be listed as those falling below were not recommended by CR.

Paste
    (Top scorers in this category are more durable)
    1. Nu Finish NFP-80
    2. Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Paste Polish T-465

Long-lasting waxes:
    Nu Finish
    NF-76
    Nu-Finish NFP-80
    Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Paste Polish T-465

Waxes that deep-clean your paint:
    Meguiar's
    Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax
    3M One Step cleaner Wax
    Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
    Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax
    Auto Glym Super Resin Polish SRP 2/2
    Nu Finish NFP-80

Important Note
    Don't assume that because a wax is highly rated in one category it will be similarly positioned in the other. For example the #1 rated Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 in the Liquid category is only #4 rated in the paste group, too low in performance in that group to earn a CR recommendation. In like manner, the #2 rated Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Paste Polish in the Paste category is rated #12 (last) in the list of Liquid products, obviously not earning a recommendation.

Conclusions
    Overall, liquid waxes performed as well as paste waxes, with the best liquids providing better shine on faded paint. Only two of the 19 car waxes tested were rated excellent for durability, Nu Finish NFP-80 and Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Paste, both paste waxes. Regardless of your effort, how much you spend, or what longevity claims manufacturers make, CR recommends waxing new cars at least every two or three months for maximum protection.

In the next post I'll report my experience using one of these products.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 10-13-2011, 06:20 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Get Waxed

To maintain your car's finish, most sources state that waxing should be carried out 4-times/year. For me, living in a northern clime and not having a garage, that's an impossibility. Since I've bought the car I've tended to hand wax in March or April, around June or July, and again in October. Some years, "gasp," I've only waxed twice a year since this is far from my favorite activity and I'm not anal about the whole process. But even though I've let my wax wane, for some reason my 9-year old car still has a shiny, almost like-new appearance. Of course, I hand wash the car fairly frequently except during rainy periods when it's not necessary. Between November and March if the car gets filthy from snow, slush, mud, etc. (and the rain won't wash it off), I take the car to a commercial car wash to be cleaned, as needed.

My choice of car wash soap, from the beginning, has been Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash. Why? No special reason - it does the job and lasts forever given how much is required/wash. I'm sure plenty of other soaps would do just as well. Car soaps are supposed to remove the grime, not the previously applied wax, so dishwashing detergents should never be used.

As for my wax, it's always been Meguiar's DeepCrystal Carnauba Wax A2216. Why? Again, no special reason other than it was probably the first product that caught my eye in Pep Boys lo those many years ago way back in 2002. According to Meguiar's it, "Delivers long-lasting protection and Creates brilliant show-car shine." Meguiar's goes on to state, "Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax is specially formulated to create a strong, protective barrier on your paint that locks in the dark, rich color, gloss and brilliance and is the perfect product to use after applying our Deep Crystal Polish. Our long-lasting, tried-and-true formula utilizes the highest grade of pure carnauba wax to protect all paint surfaces, including clear coats."

With a wax that does all that, how can you go wrong? BTW, I've never used their recommended Deep Crystal Polish before waxing so I have no idea how that would work out. To me, double waxing is the height of anality. Being a liquid, the stuff goes on easily and wipes off fairly easily leaving the car's finish looking good over time, thereby fulfilling my main requirements.

Nevertheless, ever on the lookout for new, improved, high-tech products, when the latest CR report on car waxes appeared, I decided to try another Meguiar's product since it headed their Liquid wax list. If you can believe Meguiar's product description printed on the container, the new wax represents a quantum leap forward in car wax technology. An advance so powerful and incredible that referring to it as a meer car wax just seems so inadequate. According to Meguiar's:

"Meguiar's new NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 is a scientific breakthrough that introduces an entirely new dimension of gloss and protection. Our new and improved technologically advanced formula glides on and wipes off effortlessly to visually eliminate fine swirls and micro-scratches, producing unbelievably deep, vibrant color and a dramatically clear wet-look.

"And now, with the addition of our proprietary Hydrophobic Polymer Technology, NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 provides relentless water beading and protection against oxidation, corrosion, UV rays and surface degradation. The word "Hydrophobic" literally means "water-fearing" and this new breakthrough technology builds such incredible protection and surface tension that water beads up and just glides off your paint finish, wash after wash!

"It's new, it's powerful, and it's a scientific breakthrough. Only Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 gives you an intense, deep wet-look shine, unprecedented protection, and the relentless beading of Hydrophobic Polymer Technology."
    (Emphasis mine).

There's not much I can say after that. I don't know how active the hydrophobic element is in the new formulation as that's undoubtedly proprietary information but, to be on the safe side, those with cuts and/or sores on your hands might want to wear rubber gloves when applying the wax.

CR test results for the wax were as follows:
    Gloss improvement - Very Good
    Durability - Fair
    Ease of removal - Excellent
    Ease of application - Excellent
    Cleaning - Very Good
    Resistance to scratching/hazing - Excellent
    Compatibility with plastic - Very Good

Waxing the Protege
    Materials:
    Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash
    Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 @ US $18.49 for 18 fl oz (532 ml)
    Application pad, supplied with wax
    Microfiber diaper soft cloths

Procedure:
    Wash car (I let mine air-dry)
    Following the maker's instructions, "Apply a small amount of product onto the applicator pad and spread a thin, even coat over the entire vehicle and allow to dry. Remove with a microfiber cloth, turning to a clean portion for the final wipe."

Results
    The product went on about as easily as my old wax but wiped off noticeably more easily. The finish appeared shinier, and more reflective, than was the case with the old wax. Based on these two outcomes, I felt the new wax was a worthwhile change. In terms of longevity compared with the old wax, only time will tell. I'll keep you posted. Right now, one day later, it's raining heavily outside and the water is beading on the car like there's no tomorrow. In fact, you might say the beading process is relentless.

Happy Hydrophobic Polymer Technology!

Photos 1,2 and 3: After waxing with Meguiar's NHT

Photos 4, 5 and 6: In the rain
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 10-13-2011, 06:17 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
      But even though I've let my wax wane,
      I see what you did there...

I've used the same stuff for the same reasons.

Comment

Great post! Im very picky about what I use and how its used on my cars. Im always on the lookout for the best stuff that money can buy but its hard to get everything in a bottle like CR stated above. I currently use Eagle 1 wax as you dry and Wipe n shine products happy with them since its quick and easy. works well too. For some reason Im tempting to have a professional come out and do a full interior and exterior detailing on both my cars for the first time ever. we will see how that goes.
        Anyone knows what 9K rpm feels like? I do

93 Mercury Tracer SW
        99 Honda Accord 4DR 'VIP' status
        01 Honda S2000 Future Boost

Comment

Great information, as always goldstar. I like Meguiars products. Also, I think Meguiars has a survey type thing on their website. You answer the questions pertaining to how often you wash/wax your car, what you want the outcome to be, etc. and they'll give you a list of their products to use and how/when to use them. I haven't been that anal about washing my car, but I'm sure after I repaint it I'll be following their advice.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

Working...
          X