Welp, it's been a while...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welp, it's been a while...

Sold my BF a year ago... and now I have another...

Just couldn't resist. Had to save one from ending up at a junkyard.

So for $400, I bought one 323 GT.

The guy that had it had good intentions. Poor execution. The car burned a valve, so the guy replaced all the valve, then for some reason messed with the VAF so it runs like crap right now, til I can get another. The guy lives in STL city and the car was side-swipped, damaged the left rear wheel arch, so he fiberglassed it in, kinda poor, and painted various parts of the car where it sat on a busy street.

But it's all there, a complete 207,000 mile car. He replaced some parts and included more in the trunk. The car needs a driver's side mirror glass(he included a manual mirror, the glass grenaded when I tried to swap it), driver's window regulator, tires would help, etc etc etc.

The irony is, this very car, parked infront of the guy's house, was something my family had been seeing for the decade + that the guy had owned it for, in a part of town we only visited driving from a famous restaurant to a famous frozen custard place, which we did every few months, and my brother and I would always exclaim "That's a 323 GT!! RARE!!". LOL Never thought I'd own it...

So... plans are to fix it up then ??? Might keep it, don't need to. Might sell it, if I can find someone to buy it that cares as much as I do.

How many of these did they make anyway? MazdaUSA doesn't know. I'm pretty sure these were rarer than the GT-X...

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Welcome back ryan!!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

nice find,still has the adjustable struts!doubt they're anygood.
      don't think they are nearly as rare as the gtx.the gtx was an expensive little economy based hatch in its day.I've purchased some 88 gtxs that were sold in 89 I think dealers just wanted them gone.

Comment

Originally posted by nickz View Post
        nice find,still has the adjustable struts!doubt they're anygood.
        don't think they are nearly as rare as the gtx.the gtx was an expensive little economy based hatch in its day.I've purchased some 88 gtxs that were sold in 89 I think dealers just wanted them gone.
        No, the adjustable struts still work, I actually showed them off to all my friends by bouncing the car in 'normal' mode then trying to bounce it in 'sport' mode. The guy replaced a few of the actuators, I think... there's a couple of those in the trunk. lol

I just know this is the only GT I've seen in St. Louis, and I've seen a few GT-Xs both on the road and 2 at a junkyard years ago.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

Cleaned up.

Decided to put it in my basement. Really wasn't a reason not to. 323 = 65" wide(excluding mirrors). Basement door opening = 67" wide. Was fun!

Hibernating for the winter. I'll be working on it while it's inside. Won't come out til spring!

Comment

you sir are the only person i know to put a car in their basement.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

My brother is supposed to put his KLZE '93 MX-6 in his basement today. I'll post a pic when he does. LOL The joys of owning a house capable having a car in the basement!

Comment

iirc Mazda_powered had about 40% of his car in the basement.....with no outside access

Comment

haha oh good times were had.

hell of a clean BF tho man! good score!!!
                  -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Nice, great score wish mine was that clean when i bought it haha.

Comment

That looks like a great find. Congrats.
                      '94 Protegé DX

Comment

you and your brother are the only two people i know crazy enough to shove there cars in a finished basement. lol. i need to get back down to STL again. i kinda miss all you crazy bastards.
                        ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                        ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                        What are you driving?

Comment

It's pretty clean but still needs some work... and debating whether to get the whole thing repainted. Guess I'll see how I feel about it in the spring...

Originally posted by monoxidechild View Post
                          you and your brother are the only two people i know crazy enough to shove there cars in a finished basement. lol. i need to get back down to STL again. i kinda miss all you crazy bastards.
                          lol I didn't think it was that crazy!

Comment

Nice save.
                            1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                            1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                            2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                            1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Some more recent pics. I haven't done anything with the car since pushing it in my basement... I really need to, but have been busy with my BG, work, life, etc.

Last edited by MazKid; 03-03-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X