Starting Mods on my 1991 LX, need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Mods on my 1991 LX, need some advice

I have a 1991 Protege LX. I have roughly $9k to spend. The car idles really rough, found out that the #3 cylinder is dead, so engine needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I have been looking at a BP05 conversion, using an IPP short block and a Topline Head and cams, with monza exhaust. A friend pointed me to Paeco for clutch, they have truely the best warranty I have ever seen on their kevlar clutches, other than Paeco I'm completely clueless as to which brand to trust. Suspension wise I was thinking Mazdaspeed Adjustable struts and eibach springs. Also I'm planning on putting a stereo in it so I'm setting aside $2.5-$3k for that. Any advice on suspension and drivetrain would be awsome. Thanks.

wow, your either good at managing money for full of At any rate welcome to the club. Im sure if you click on the faq found in my sig alot of your questions will be answered...Good luck on the project
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

no bs.....just a graduation/eagle scout/18th birthday present....

Comment

ohhhhah...gotcha...give the thread the weekend youll have a bunch of posts.....its kinda dead today.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

well if you have 9000 i'm going to say do an engine swap. What kinda of tranny do you have(5psd/auto)?

buy this

Have it checked and replace the seals.

then buy this:

then track down a set for mx3 seats ~100

and that will pretty much set you car up better than mine. and only cost ~5000
          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
          So his engine he goosed
          With much too much boost,
          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by cannonprotege
            no bs.....just a graduation/eagle scout/18th birthday present....
            Werd. Im an eagle scout as well, but I didn't get 9k for it.

With 9k I would just swap in the GTX or GTR (j-spec turbo charged version of the BP-ZE gtx=180 gtr=210 but more rare), you would have more than enough left over after buying the motor to pay for everything else you need.

If you don't want to go down the boosted route, then just get a PnP job, cams, and full exhaust, then you would be looking at some decent gains.
            2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

if you want to lower your car, get a set of tokico's some Suspension technique springs, the whole setup should be around 700 after tax.
              When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
              Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
              Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
              So his engine he goosed
              With much too much boost,
              And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

I'd get a maxima
                00 dakota 4x4
                90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

700 for suspension? bit pricey....
                  ZX2 Tockico's with some H&R springs will kick ass.
                  struts ~190 shipped..........(www.oedfordparts.com) or something like that
                  H&R springs - usually 200 bucks.
                  400 bucks total, 300 to donate to the board for our wonderful sugestions... j/k
                  The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

two words, Chevy 502

THAT'LL GIT' HER MOVIN!
                    Serenity's Dead.

Comment

If i was you I would, build up a N/A beast. Since no one really has one. And with 9k Im sure you could. First off, id get a full standalone EMS. Then have some custom like 12:1 hi comp pistons made for you, shave the head tho so you dont smash your piston into your valves. Then a P&P, and some aggressive cams, along with Full intake and exhaust. Then how much Id have left over id use it on suspension, rims, tires, and last body work if needed. Then TUNE TUNE TUNE!!! Then start saving for the new tranny in case yours explodes...lOL!
                      Eat ****.

Comment

are mazdaspeed 4way adjustables worth what corksport is chargin for em, $712 for four of em?

Comment

Originally posted by cannonprotege
                          are mazdaspeed 4way adjustables worth what corksport is chargin for em, $712 for four of em?
                          The primary advantage of the adjustables is that they are adjustable. They can go from nice and soft on "1" to extremely stiff on "4". "1" or "2" are fine for the street, while "3" and "4" are track-only settings. Great for the weekend autocrosser who likes a softer ride on the street, as the ZX2 struts are probably about "2" on compression and "3" or so on rebound.

If you wanted to go REALLY serious (for autocross), then you'd want to go with one of three options. Custom Konis in the stock housings ($200-$400/per strut, depending on who does what), the ZX-2 racing kit ($1100+), or Ground Control Advance design struts ($400/corner).
                          David Avard
                          '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                          '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                          '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

with 9k to spend...

2.5L V6 swap ~$2500
                            Assorted bolt-ons ~$1000
                            Racing Coilover Kit ~$1100
                            strut/tie bars ~$400
                            Sway bars ~$275
                            15x7 lightweight wheels ~$450
                            Falken Azenis Tires ~400
                            Racing seat ~$350
                            Autopower roll bar $389

~$6864 spent
                            ~$2136 left over

do the math and balance the stereo equipment weight as evenly as possible. If your spending this kind of money, might as well do it right.

If it was me, i'd spend the left over on brakes and extra tires

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
                              i'd suggest saving for this.

the lx is nothing compared to what you see there.
                              im pretty sure id kill a man for one of those
                              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X