CB radio & antenna in a 1st gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB radio & antenna in a 1st gen

This probably sounds like an odd addition to a Protege, but being a Jeep enthusiast, I have a CB in my Jeep for offroading and I love it on the highway. Truckers are great entertainment and they always know exactly where the cops are on the highway.

With that said, I'm going to install a CB in my Protege. Something relatively basic, but with weather channels and probably a PA switch. The PA in my Jeep is way too much fun

Where is a good place to mount the CB? I thought I might try to jury rig something below the stereo in the storage compartment there. Another option is to drill into the side of the center console near the passenger foot area and mount the CB vertically there.

How about a mounting point for then antenna? Will one of those "under-the-hood" mounts work on the trunk of the Protege? I'm guessing no because of the gasketing. Maybe I could mount it under the hood like I see on pickup trucks. (Similar to this http://www.wavehunter.com/brack2.jpg )

Any ideas? Has anyone here installed a CB in their Protege?

"Mazderati"
    91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
    Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
    Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
    AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

I guess it depends on the size. I own a 3rd Gen, so I am not familiar with the '91 interior, but I would try asking under that thread. Also, there is www.protegeclub.com and www.msprotege.com if you haven't heard of them already, they have a good source of information. They too have separate 1st/2nd/3rd and mspro even has a MSP for those who are blessed to have one! :p: I miss my fullsized GMC Jimmy 4x4. Can't do any off roading in my Protege that's for sure. One thing I don't miss though is the gas mileage!
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Comment

I traded some Q78 Super Swampers (36x11.50) for this Protege I needed a commuter car and the price was right. Needs some work, but this is a good little car.

Now, back to CB info...

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

I had BFG's on factory rims I like the tires but factory rims? I hated to sell the Great White, but my ex paid for it and after the divorce, I didn't want to be making her payments and the bank of course looks at the year and sees it as a personal loan, so I sold it, with CD player, speakers, and alarm with remote start. Damn, I kick myself every day for doing that! It was in great shape, needed some paint (old paint was starting to flake), no rust, and only 100K miles on an '88 car!!!! Not to mention 4x4, new starter, fairly new transmission, new AC, towing package..uh hum! The only thing was the paint and shifting from park made a "clunk" noise, but a mechanic told me what it was, and it wasn't any thing major. I miss that truck!
        2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
        KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
        Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
        Groundkit

Comment

Magnet bottom, no holes in the 323. Got me a cobra CB. Ran the wire to the trunk for the antenna. When I want it up I stop put the attena up in the middle of the roof. The wire then runs from the bottom of that to the rear hatch lid and into the interior where I ran it next to the passenger side rear seat seatbelt into the body panel then up to the front to the CB.

Was like 30 bucks at radioshack for the antenna. Not too bad, and no messy floppy antenna off my small 323, and no holes. I will get a pic of it tommrow if you need it.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

CB's are so much fun . When my dad and the family used to take drives down to florida and other places. We always had a CB along for the ride.
            I often found it funny how they would shout mile markers of where women are in short skirts on a certain highway in a car and everyone would hurry to get to that area ..lol

I would say you could mount it under the passenger dash somewhere or under the seat, this would be an especially good place to mount it if you had a remote style CB that would enable you to turn the system off from the Radio remote and change the channels
            B1
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I have a magnetic-mount antenna that I used in my girlfriends car, but I thought a "permanent" mount for the protege would be better.

I guess I could give the magnetic-mount antenna a try first.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

for the acutual CB box that goes in the interior, I mounted it vertically on the center console on the passenger side below the glove box. Low enough so that way the glove box opens, and small enough that it doesnt take up too much room of the passengers feet space.

I got long arms so I can reach it easy.

Comment

My used CB came in the mail over the weekend. I think I'll install it tomorrow in the daylight or on my lunch break. I'm looking forward to having a CB again

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

I couldn't wait. I installed it just now. It's wired up with the magnetic mount antenna. I think I am going to mount it on the passenger side of the center console towards the front. I have to check glove box door clearance.

What about the cubby hole below the stereo where the cup holders are? Is there any easy way to remove the inside of that cubby hole? It would be a great place for the CB!

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Boston
                      I couldn't wait. I installed it just now. It's wired up with the magnetic mount antenna. I think I am going to mount it on the passenger side of the center console towards the front. I have to check glove box door clearance.

What about the cubby hole below the stereo where the cup holders are? Is there any easy way to remove the inside of that cubby hole? It would be a great place for the CB!
                      You could always try and find a console from a DX without the cupholders. (The convinience package for the DX added it, along with tach, reading lights, trunk light, etc.)
                      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

good luck removing it, I haven't tried, but I would like to see if it is possible. Since I got mine on the side of the console, and its mounted already, IM gonna leave it unless you can make it look really awesome. Then I might consider the change. For the hanging of the Mic, I opened the glove box and bent the clip and screwed it to the top lip edge of the glove box door. That way when it is shut the mic hangs just under the AC vent to the right of the AC controls.
                        I got long arms so it is real easy to grab in a hurry

Comment

I don't have any pics, but I installed the radio with two #10 sheetmetal screws, 3/4" long into the side of the center console on the passenger side. It's relatively out of the way and I can see the front panel pretty well.

Right now I am running a Radio Shacke magnetic mount antenna on the trunk lid, but I plan on making a bracket that bolts to the frame (there is a good bolt to use where the tie-down hook is) and comes out behind the bumper to mount a 102" whip antenna.

I'll post pics if I ever get a digital camera

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

sounds good

Comment

I finally snapped some pics of my CB setup. I am running a Cobra 25 WXLTD with Astatic Road Devil noise canceling power mic. The transmissions are handled by a 5' Wilson Silverload antenna mounted on a Firestik stainless hood/trunk mount. I plan to use a stud mount for the coax at the antenna instead of the PL connector, but Ijust used the PL to test out the setup before I cut the coax and spliced it to the stud mount.

You can see that I wired the radio's power wires to a cigarette lighter adapter for easy removal.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X