axles - rebuild vs new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axles - rebuild vs new

ok, so both my boots are shot on my awd protege. the left is clicking pretty bad, the right is just leaking grease. so, should i just repack and reboot or does anyone have the hookup on new axles?

check rockauto, i believe they have some awd axles

NW MAZDAS

Comment

yeah $45ea you missed out on all the fun tonight. haha. those pine needles suck!

Comment

yea i know, i got home right after you left. and yea.. need a leafblower or something for the driveway. we need to have a 4wd protege meet sometime, there are so many of us around here.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

no doubt! cept you guys are totally hoarding all the 4wd pro's. i might need to buy that blue 2wd pro for my parts car.

Comment

ha yea not too often there are two 4wd at one place. green car is all yours if you want it, im too lazy to try and sell it on craigslist

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Go git new ones. Cheap enough and no hassles and less risk of getting it wrong.
              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by bogaut View Post
                ha yea not too often there are two 4wd at one place. green car is all yours if you want it, im too lazy to try and sell it on craigslist
                how much do you want for the green one? that has the black interior right?

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                  Go git new ones. Cheap enough and no hassles and less risk of getting it wrong.
                  yeah, that's what i'm thinking too. i hate rebuilding cv's.

Comment

ok so just to get this straight. the FWD axles will not work with my AWD car. even if summit and rock auto list them under the AWD application?

just wanna make sure before i order them. I looked up Cardone axles and came up with this info.

Front right w/4wd 60-8103
                    front left w/4wd + mt 60-8104

which rock auto lists for $105 after a $50 core. ouch.

Comment

I have to buy a set of those too... don't deplete their stock! you can use a passenger FWD axle I believe, the driver's needs to be AWD specific though.
                      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
                        you can use a passenger FWD axle I believe, the driver's needs to be AWD specific though.

is this true?!?!

Comment

I know I have read it somewhere... 4wd passenger axle = thinner diameter than FWD but same spline count and length (BG 4wd that is) I wish I had my intermediate shaft I would buy a passenger side axle and test my theory out... actually... I could do that with my 4wd protege... hmm... I'll see what's in stock around town tomorrow and report back. (I need BG axles for my new project anyway)
                          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

any news?

Comment

forgot it was rent and phone bill week, going to have to wait till I get paid on Wednesday, plus it is cold and snowy...
                              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X