BP in awd flywheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP in awd flywheel question

I'm going to pick up a BP today to use in the protege, and from what I've read the 4wd manual transmission is a G series correct? If so that means its the same basically as the FWD G series right?
    The main question I have is I was reading the FSM and it said the 4wd flywheel is different then the sohc fwd flywhee, I'm assuming this is because it would be the same as a dohc flywheel? Or am I wrong? Is the trans and flywheel on the 4wd unique to the 4wd? Hope that makes any sense? Lol
    Thanks for any info

2008 Mazda 6i Sport
    1990 Mazda Protege 4WD
    1999 Nissan Altima SE-L

Use your BP flywheel and you'll be fine. Just make sure you use the compatible clutch and pressure plate.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

BP G-series FW = Protege 4wd FW
      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Awesome thanks alot! So I'll just swap the clutch over and should be good to go

2008 Mazda 6i Sport
        1990 Mazda Protege 4WD
        1999 Nissan Altima SE-L

Comment

not sure if this is relative for the SOHC 4wd flywheel. but some notes.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	awd clutch release bearing.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1229650
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

If it were me, depending on the age of the engine, I'd change the main bearing and pilot bearing while you have it all apart. Those parts are cheap and easy to get to while you have the engine out of the car. A trusted member told me once that the pilot bearings never go out in these cars so use your own judgment.

Comment

I've had some that were really dry, but never bad. I figure if you pay for a clutch kit you might as well use all the new pieces
              2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                not sure if this is relative for the SOHC 4wd flywheel. but some notes.........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52051[/ATTACH]
                Thanks thats actually the exact part in the FSM I was talking about i was reading it lastnight and it got me wondering

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                If it were me, depending on the age of the engine, I'd change the main bearing and pilot bearing while you have it all apart. Those parts are cheap and easy to get to while you have the engine out of the car. A trusted member told me once that the pilot bearings never go out in these cars so use your own judgment.
                Thanks thats not a bad idea!

2008 Mazda 6i Sport
                1990 Mazda Protege 4WD
                1999 Nissan Altima SE-L

Comment

uh....... Bull****!!!! WTF was that "member" thinking

^PS this is one of my old ones
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

If I told you who it was you'd laugh.

Comment

i don't really wanna know...........

Comment

"pilot bearings never go out".... wow. I knew mazda had some good engineers but making a part that violates the laws of thermodynamics, wow.
                        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I wish iMazda was still up so I could post a link. The guy seemed pretty sure of himself.
                          I'd change it if it were me just so you know that you have at least 10 years before you have to think about it again.

Edit-By trusted member I guess I mean he's been around for a long time and has a lot of knowledge. As for judgment? Like I said, if it were me I'd change it.
                          Last edited by 1st Gen; 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

It may be that compared to some other parts, like, oh, say, the GEARBOX, that the pilot bearing is a tough cookie and might last through a few of those other less durable items but you'd be silly to not swap it out while you're in there...
                            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Lol true ill go ahead and swap it out.....so Ryan when coming down to help me get this installed?? Lol

2008 Mazda 6i Sport
                              1990 Mazda Protege 4WD
                              1999 Nissan Altima SE-L

Comment

Working...
                              X