G25MX-R center differential options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G25MX-R center differential options

I may be wrong, but AFAIK the viscous center diff (BPT G25MX-R) is basically giving the front wheels all the torque until there is slipping at the wheels. Are there any options to distribute the torque to the rear wheels in normal driving conditions. Might it even be possible to lock the center diff to basically get a permanent 50/50 torque distribution front/rear if the same front/rear gear ratios are used. I'm not sure if that would be desirable though.

Well I've pulled up some info on this type of thing:
    The 1G and 2G Center Diffs are the same as far as operation and welding goes so this mod works for both.Welding the Center Differential can give you a couple of advantages on a DSM. It effectively locks the power transfer at 50/50 to the front and rear. It also eliminates some inherent...

Sounds good to me.

Comment

I thought the factory torque spilt was 43% front/57% rear for the GTX/GTR center diffs.
      Tyler has spoken

Comment

It is, the centerdiff always sends torque to the back.
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I've spun the rear once pulling out from a gravel driveway onto blacktop. Also did some 360's in the same gravel
          2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

A 43% front/57% rear is a perfect split. The car naturally will have more traction in the back when the car "launches" and the weights shifts to the back when the front lifts up and the back hunkers down. So sending more power to the back and less to the front is genius. Thumbs up to Mazda! It's just too bad they made everything a little on the fragile side.
            Tyler has spoken

Comment

Okay, well that's pretty sweet then. Maybe that's the case with the non-viscous center diff then. Now, what is the deciding factor with the torque split? I read somewhere that the diff ratios determine it. Not quite sure how that works though. 57% to the rear does sound like a pretty nice setup.

And BTW, hey Nerd, nice to come across another ff.com member.

Comment

hmm what's your screen name over there? I have a viscous center diff in my protege, BG GTX trans that is. I can't wait till I get the swap done in my festiva. that will be pretty quick... and have traction!
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Same screen name. Right now I'm gathering the pieces for my B6T swap (Rustiva). Then I'm looking to go AWD with BPT (Raltiva). Just doin some research on it in the meantime. I'll have to pull up your build thread over at ff. There's an AWD Protege near me for $1000 I'd love to snatch up, but all my cash is goin into my current projects.

Comment

The front & rear ratios are not the same so locking the diff full time is NOT good for the drivetrain, both BF gtx & BG gtx transmissions
                    1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                    1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                    www.werbatfik.com

Comment

the ratios are the same, 3.909 final drive and 3.909 rear diff ratio. if they were not the same the diff would fail. that is why you must run all 4 tires the same size on all wheel drive/4wd vehicles.
                      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

This page says differently: http://www.protegefaq.net/transmission.html#G25MX-R

BF front FDR: 4.388:1
                        BF rear FDR: 3.909:1

BG GTX front FDR: 4.214:1
                        BG GTX rear FDR: 3.909:1

Is this info incorrect?

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

My GTR service manual says front is 4.214, and rear is 3.909. Which I don't understand fully. The car has the same size tires, but different ratios for the front a rear axles. Would one set of wheels not constantly be slipping then...? I don't have anough experience with AWD yet.
                          Tyler has spoken

Comment

The front will spin faster than the rear. The center diff, being open or viscously coupled, will slowly rotate to make up the difference.

It'd be like going around a turn in a FWD car, the spiders in the diff will rotate slowly due to the different rotational rates

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

If the car was in the air, the rear would spin faster, that's where the torque bias comes from. The center diff doesn't actually "send" more torque to the rear.
                              sigpic
                              1992 Familia GT-X
                              1988 323 GTX
                              2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                              X