Toyota Front LSD Group Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota Front LSD Group Buy

I know quite a few guys on here are playing with these boxes so here's the link to the group buy that's being put together on alltrac.net

Ladies and Gents... Been talking to the folks at M Factory about a front helical LSD for our cars. They seem keen to have a go at it and would require a minimum of 10 units to be ordered. What they need now is some good, detailed photos of a front diff out of a ST165, 185 or 205 to get an idea...

Mfactory part projected price around 1k

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...-run_18851.htm

So have they gotten round the fact that the mr2 lsd won't fit in the awd trans, or what?
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I think so. Didn't read the whole thread but I think they sent off an awd diff to Mfactory for measurements or where planning on it. Either way, hopefully something becomes of this. The more "showed interest" the better. I have a feeling It's going to be a difficult part to produce, but if there is a good showing of hands, hopefully Mfactory will make it happen.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...-run_18851.htm

Comment

there was a thread on a different celica forum.. what happened to that
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Dammit! I wish I was rich, lol. I got too many projects planned in my head. My wife is going to kill me, haha! So the 2wd toyota diff won't work in the awd case. Is this the same for our G series 2wd diff? IE, can the 2wd Mfactory diff be used in the 4wd trans?
          Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

if this can be compatible with a rav4 steel transfer case i'll likely be in for it. i want as much LSD as my car can get
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

hmmmmm........

Comment

I'm on it too!
                -1993 Familia GT-R, 3" stainless exaust, 0.100" oversize Supertech pistons, ported and polished head, "hemi" style combustion chamber, Supertech 1mm oversize valves, megasquirt, 880cc low-z, MSD HVC, custom SS ramhorn turbo manifold, GT3076R ar.63, 25psi, 3" SS custom exhaust. Soon to be MS3X, COP and 28psi!
                -2008 Mitsubishi Evolution X MR, AEM turbo inlet system, 3" magnaflow exhaust.
                -2006 Pimped Grand Caravan 3.8L GT40...I'm kidding, it's stock

Comment

ugh. i don't like the additude of some of these celica guys.

Comment

I'm really liking that one link to the russian photo gallery of the complete thing all dissasembled!

It would be easy enough to get a plate-type rear diff in there (I've not even opened it to see what's actually in there, if it's a torsen or a plate-type).

Center will also remain Viscous with this MFactory unit, correct?

And the Front will be a helical type. I've read horror stories of helicals assploding on gravel/dirt, specifically front wheel drive, specifically mazda protege, specifically Quaife, from Eric Burmeister.

For those who've driven 4WD more than myself:
                    Is a helical better than nothing on dirt/gravel/ice, considering it's only the front and only passing part of the power? Or will it just get a crazy random shock load and break in a way that will ruin the rest of the trans and make me wish I'd have stayed with an open front diff (or whatever comes stock. I should probably take apart the box and make sure it doesn't have the TRD front torsen in already.)

also, in that same Drivetrain section, I'm intrigued by the Viscous Coupling fluid-change. Reminds me of a story of a DSM rally team (I barely remember now, it's been a long time since I saw it) that drained their fluid, and used some medical-grade silicone in the diff. AKA, "Powered By Boobies". if it works for the DSM, and for the Toyota trans, why wouldn't something similar work for the mazda GTX/GTR box, and the miata VLSD's that fit in the back, if one can't find a MazdaSpeed clutch/plate-type rear diff?

--sarge

--sarge
                    Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

a torsen is always physically stronger than an open differential.
                      gravel/dirt/tarmac. a torsen is better than an open differential -- until the point where you lift a wheel.
                      grenading a torsen differential is a certain feat indeed.

Comment

so if you're driving a car with a torsen hard enough, you're going to get inside wheelspin anyways, then a super hard shock-load when the car resettles, lunges the car wherever the wheels happen to be pointing, and/or poops itself.

Comment

Nope, no inside wheelspin when both are on the ground with a torsen. It's only when there's no load at all on one or the other that it reverts to acting like an open diff. As for an lsd in the front of an alltrac box, none but a very very few, that went straight into racecars, came with anything other than an open front diff. Given the choice tween a helical and a plate in front, I'd take the helical, cuz plate diffs need regular service and I don't wanna take the trans apart to do that. So if they make a dropin fit helical that's strong enough I'll grab it cuz it sounds like a front lsd on an awd rallycar is the mammaries.
                          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

so, as long as I'm not going around a corner like this:

a torsen front LSD should be just fine..

--sarge

Comment

oh yeah... helical/torsen if built properly will hold up. I'm totally on this if it actually happens, cuz I just corner like this:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0893.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1229742

Comment

Working...
                              X