wheel hubs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel hubs...

Interestingly, I'm in the process of changing a rear wheel bearing on the gray 4WD. I had to put some SERIOUS heat and a 20-ton press on the axle to pop it out of the hub.

anyways, through the typical tangential thought process when working on this stuff:

the ST-205 axle slides right into the Mazda hub.
    the ST-205 has a PCD of 5x100.

So, since I was on Rockauto looking up prices for wheel bearings, I checked out their measurements as well:

..............MAZDA......TOYOTA......DIFFERENCE
    Bore........1.5748........1.4961.......:-0.0787
    OD..........2.9134........2.9134.......:0.000
    Width......1.5748.........1.417........:-0.1578

The OD of the bearing is identical in the toyota and the mazda. this means that the mazda knuckle is used, and you just press the Toyota bearing into it as normal. No need for changing knuckles or slotting suspenders.

The Bore of the bearing is smaller on the toyota. but since the axle fits in the hub properly, this means that the toyota hub is slightly thinner, BUT more importantly, the Bearing itself is theoretically a slightly beefier unit (0.0787" more material between the hub and the knuckle), possibly larger balls or just more metal, in any case, possibly stronger.

The Toyota bearing is skinnier by 0.1578". maybe it'll need a teeny shim, or maybe not. This difference will affect the rotor mounting surface, but another factor in this is the thickness of the Toyota hub flange. Is it thicker or thinner than the mazda one, and by how much? It could seriously affect the brake pad/rotor interaction.

According to Toyodiy.com, the part number for the rear hub of the ST205 is the same as the part number for the ST204 (the fwd u.s. celica).

so yeah, there's another possible option for going 5x100. on a FWD car, though, I've no idea if the rear bearing/hub can interchange somehow.

Thoughts? I don't even know if I want to go 5x100, but there might be an advantage someday in locating rims of the desired size.

--sarge
    Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM. Reason: Couple typos and a misread.
Working...
X