Electrical Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Issue

I'll start by giving a brief background on the car. Car is a 93 MX-3 with a turboed BP from a protege. I've had no issues similar to what I'm going to describe.

I recently bought a Miata to daily drive to work so my MX-3 has been sitting quite a bit. I at least start it once a week or so, so this surprised me.

Anyway, I went to start my car yesterday, it was one of the coldest days of the season so I expected it to turn over slowly. When I turned the key I could hear the starter click, hesitate for a second or two and hesitate again. Never had any issue like this so I waited a moment and tried it again, clicked two or three times and I started to smell something. So I popped the hood and the clutch line distal to the slave had melted--it was quite a bit of smoke. Enough had melted that fluid leaked out and the car no longer has enough hydraulic pressure: to place any resistance on the clutch pedal.

So I disconnected the negative on the battery first thing and drove my other car to work. I went out and took a photo earlier. The car has an EGT transmission that a friend swapped in for me but I had never looked at this plate before. I unbolted the ground from the plate before thinking I should obtain some advice before continuing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	word.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1267491

My most basic assumption is that I have a short somewhere, but I'd love any kind of advice.

Thanks, Jeff
    AARC Member

so you're saying the ground wire was bolted to the clutch line bracket? how many grounds do you have, and where are they located?
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

There were two grounds bolted where you see the one in the picture. I followed both of them: one terminates near the wiper motor; the other enters a wiring harness near the starter and exits near the wiper motor. I've never modified any of the grounds in anyway.
      The car does have a battery relocation to the trunk so that is certainly abnormal.
      AARC Member

Comment

bad grounds .. so it used what it could to route the power ( path of least resistance and all that )

Comment

I'm going to try new ground wires and make sure that works before installing the new clutch line. I take it that this is something that just happens? I'm wondering if the plate was set against the starter in an awkward spot.
          AARC Member

Comment

Working...
          X