output shaft bearing play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

output shaft bearing play

hoooookayy, when I was draining the trans fluid to refill it tonight after replacing the left axle, I grabbed the yoke of the lobro joint on the driveshaft, where it comes out of the trans, and yanked on it. There seems to be the tiniest bit of play there, probably less than a mm, but enough to feel that there is a slight movement there.

What're the odds that I need to replace the output shaft bearing and seal, etc? Never had to deal with this exact part before, but I'd rather nip it in the bud now.

--sarge

just read the manual, and it does use a crush sleeve in there. So I'm gonna just unbolt four nuts and check the torque setting of the companion flange nut. bring it to the high side of the range (130 footlebs) if it's not there already. in any case, im going to tighten it just a hair.

--sarge

Comment

Worth a try but if tq is on spec and you still have play replace the bearing. Cuz the very next step is trans shrapnel.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

wouldn't ya know it.. I don't have a 26mm socket right now. and I don't have a pipe big enough to go over my 26mm wrench. I guess this'll wait until tomorrow. but if I can't even move it with my foot, I'm pretty sure it's probably tight enough. so might be the bearing.

I think I'm going to reconnect the propshaft and put in some tranny juice, then take it for a spin. if the noise persists, it's bearing time.

Then I've got to weigh the options
        • replace this one's bearing, and then put it back in.
        • swap in the spare GTR box and start driving it right away, and fix this one while it's out of the car.
        • swap in one of the USDM 4WD boxes and hope it doesn't go boom.
        • do the whole E153 conversion now instead of later.

and this isn't counting all the engine juggle-o-rama I want to do.

*sigh* sometimes I woder WTF I was thinking when my brain decided it enjoyed working on cars as a hobby....

that reminds me: the GTX/GTR boxes, being G-boxes, do you know if they have the same bearings as the F-box that came with the cars originally? not sure even how to find the part number through MMS as they only have the USDM stuff, I think...

do you think the pinion bearing and crush sleeve ("distance piece" in the catalog, lol!) need to be replaced, or do you think it's only the outside bearing? That's just a 50 dollar bearing, and an 8-dollar oil seal, theoretically able to be done with the trans still in the car. Otherwise it's pull the transfer carrier and replace the guts, and check backlash/preload, etc...

Thanks, by the way, for your advice!

--sarge
        Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

What's that you say??? spare GTR box??? sarge, I need the hookup.
          James

1990 Mazda Protege 4wd / 1993 Mazda RX-7 / 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback / 2013 Ford Mustang

Comment

heh. it came up for a good price a few years back, as a spare for when I turbo'd the blue 4WD and blew up the GTX box that's in it right now. At the time I don't think I had the second 4WD. long before the whole E153 swap was thought about (at least by me).

Comment

Just do the outside bearing and sleeve. It aint that hard or spendy compared to doing the whole gearbox. It can be done incar just fine.
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

by sleeve, you mean the crush sleeve on the pinion, or the inner race of the bearing, or a redi-sleeve?

11,13,15 for sure, 13+15 are the bearing itself, and 11 is just a seal.

Do you know if the USDM and GTX/GTR boxes are the same in this particular regard, as far as the parts? I think they are from a cursory visual inspection, but that's not measuring or knowing.

Comment

crap.

MMS catalog lists the bearing's part number as G0C1-27-220. when checking availability, it says NLA, as in No Longer Available.

Jay, do you happen to have an alternate part number, or did you just take a bearing to a parts house and have them find one that fits?

--sarge

Comment

I'm trying to remember. This was when I had the gtx but after teh bpt swap, so it may be that those parts were available then. I'll try and see if I can find an alternate part # tomorrow if possible..

Comment

Thank you, Jay.

I think I'll at least take it out tonight, and then maybe go to a bearing store tomorrow (Motion Industries across the street from where I work) and see if they can match it by measuring or reading any stamps on it. It's not like this can be the only car in the world since tapered roller bearings have been made that this particular bearing was ever used in right?

--sarge

Comment

That should work perfectly. Nice resource to have nearby, that.

Comment

gaaahhh!!!

well, I got the companion flange and oil seal out. Not a clue as to how to get the actual bearing off of the output shaft/pinion without using tools that I don't have. Never got an outlet for my welder wired in yet, so I can't use the super-easy way of welding a bolt onto the inner race and using a slide hammer. I don't have any fancy gripper-type bearing pullers.

and, the markings on the bearing are actually slightly muddled.

Here's a photo, click for full size (4416x3312 aka gi-frickin-gantic). If anyone can decipher it, please let me know, I'm going to keep tracking this down and I'll have to figure something out.

It's an NTN bearing, made in Japan, and Here's what Is fairly legible: ET-CR-05_ _ _ _.

I think the last 3 letters are 35T or 3ST, not sure. but that character right after the -05 is a tough one do decipher.

--sarge
                          Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 12-21-2011, 01:35 AM.

Comment

motion industries can get you any bearing you want.........or virtually nehow.
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

i vote 6/8 3ST
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                              X