new to me 323gtx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to me 323gtx

well after daily driving the 1200 for the last 6 months I decided I needed a better winter daily driver . The 1200 is fun and handles great in the rain but being pushed around on a windy day when its pouring at 530 in the morning gets a little old.
    So I started looking for a 4x4 720 and I found one I wanted in my price range. I was all set to buy it when my buddy shaun calls me up and says! hay you want that 323 the I bought that other day I have too many cars and want to buy a evo. I said hell yes!

So rewind to about a month a go.
    I was searching Craig's list and I came a cross a mazda 323 gtx for 1000 and i wanted it so bad but had no cash at that . I had just dropped some money to get the sr in my dime and was broke after that.
    Shaun saw the car and i went with him to look at it. we get there and the guys tells us the issues with the car and how it was his buddys car for years and he had bought it to use to drive back and forth to the mountain(mt.hood) then he tells us the issues it has. The front right wheel bearing is making noise and it has no 2nd 4th or revers but you can click it in to gear in the trans but not with the shifter. So we take it for a drive get a block a way from the house and hit the dif lock button (its pouring rain out side at this point) we pull up to the stops sign with the diff's locked and he punch's it we both sink back in to our seats look at each other and go holy ****! neither of us was expecting it to pull like that. we turn around i tell him if you dont buy it loan me the cash and i will buy it. so he purchased the car and it sat in the drive way for a month. Now i own a 323gtx

there where only 5000 of these maid in 88 and 89 only 1243 where released in the us. mazda had to build 5000 of these to be able to race the gtx in group A rally. the car has 1.6 dual cam turbo charged 4 cylinder weigh's 2500 pounds and is 4 wheel drive

then i was poking around on the net trying to find who used to own this car and i found a guy who owned it a while back and pm'd jim and he sent mr this message
    . I haven't owned that car in a while. Before I sold it it got new factory pistons, rings, ported head. It also had a modified ECU so I could run 14 psi, with a hybrid turbo. T bird intercooler, manual boost controller. I Think I put a walbro in that car, I've owned a couple GTX's and can't remember everything about all of them. I think that one got tokikos from a golf in the front and mr2 turbo inserts in the rear, ground controll coil overs. Short shifter. And ???? call me if you want

so my dad came over yesterday and he helped me figure out that one of the shift cables is shredded that's why i cant get in to the down gears in the gtx . so once i get the bearings and shifter cabkes fixed and register it i will be daily driving it . it almost pulls as hard as my 510.

once you get it running we should meet up, my roomate and i both have 4wd proteges, which is basically the sequel of the gtx

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Sounds like a plan

Comment

If you have those strut inserts you likely have a set of Dirtra tubes as well. Hang on to those. That looks like a Probe/MX6GT/626GT intercooler...a common upgrade from the past. Have fun...I know you will. OH also save your nickles and dimes..these cars love to snack on them. Be careful with that diff lock switch..only designed for very low traction situations...unless of course you have a pile of center diffs to throw at it.
        Clay

Comment

That strut brace is awesome. Is there a name on it?
          1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
          1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
          www.werbatfik.com

Comment

no sorry

Comment

so where do i look in the fsm to find how to pull the heater core mine is weeping i have looked and looked but i think i am missing it. feeling kind of dumb . lol

Comment

You have to pull the whole dash assembly out to get to it. You will spend the better part of a day on this job. Pull the lower console first. 11 bolts hold the dash in and then the heater and vent control cables, wiring to the fan and the connectors to the harness on the drivers side. You also need to drop the steering column..another 4 bolts. Take pics if it's your first time so you get it all back together.

Comment

This will be my first time doing this on a 323. It looked like it was a pain. I just didn't want to go in blind in case there was a short cut.
                  I like how they put the ecu under the heater core so when it leaks it gets on the ecu.

Comment

This will be my first time doing this on a 323. It looked like it was a pain. I just didn't want to go in blind in case there was a short cut.
                    I like how they put the ecu under the heater core so when it leaks it gets on the ecu.

Comment

Originally posted by dislexicdime View Post
                      Wecome to our world man.

Comment

That's why I have my ecu in my glovebox

NW MAZDAS

Comment

I wonder if there is room to mount my ecu behind the glove box.

Comment

Maybe, not sure since I have a bg not a bf

NW MAZDAS

Comment

The instructions for the dash removal are outlined in the FSM. It is a royal PITA, and you will be at it all day.

I've removed mine several times, and I still hate it.

I find it best to remove the seats, steering wheel, column, and the center console first.

Take pics, use a coffee can to hold all the hardware.

The clamps for the rubber couplers are evil. Make sure you have new hose clamps and heater hoses. The pipes are fragile, so try to not crush them.

Reinstalling the heater control cables is a pain; it's also a good time to lube them and inspect them.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X