1988 323 GTX Charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 323 GTX Charging issue

Hello, So I searched the forum for answers on this but nothing quite like the problem I'm dealing with. I have a 1988 323 GTX and a while ago started having charging issues with the car. It went from running perfect with no issues to one day I was coming home and the dash lights seemed pretty dim. I turned the car off and tried to restart it and it wouldn't do it. I checked the voltage at the battery and was seeing 11.5-11.9 area. So, I bought a remanufactured alternator and knew that it was all hooked back up correctly and it was right around 12.5 and then when revving the engine it went up to about 12.7 and then started falling to about 12 and below. Then removed it and took it back to have it checked and was told it was absolutely performing perfectly. So I replaced the battery and then it still didn't work. So I wanted to trade out the alt with another from the same store, but because it wasn't failing their test they wouldn't warranty the part and replace it. So I nursed it to a mazda dealership and paid 50 bucks to be told that the alternator was in fact not working. Then with the paperwork I was able to get the Oreilly to trade me out for another alt. This one looked 10X better then the first one, the windings were all shiny copper instead of dirty and gross like the first reman. Got it all hooked up and it was kicking out 13.5 and when revved it would go up properly and thought it was all finished. I took the car out for a spin and barely made it home. I checked everything and can't figure out the issue. I never got a dash light stating a battery issue. Everything is 100% hooked up correctly and I figure if the Mazda dealership had seen a wiring issue they would have pointed it out to me. I know this is not the proper way to go about it but the small wire coming out of the alternator clip is the one that communicates with the regulator to shut it off when the battery is fully charged, correct? If that wire was snipped and capped off would that keep the alternator running constantly and keep the car running? I have a warranty on the alternator and if I were to burn it up I've gotten to the point where I can remove it in about 15 minutes so I could replace it if needed. If anyone has any ideas as to why this keeps happening, I'd really appreciate it. I love this car to death and it kills me to just have it sit in the garage! I had to purchase a new car in order to not be stranded! If I'm asking a redundant question and you guys know somewhere else to look, please let me know!

Thanks!

did you charge the battery after you changed the alt?

Comment

Have you tried removing a battery connection while the car is running?If not, try it, the car will crap out if you have alt. or a wiring problem.You're battery is obviously good eh?

Comment

The battery did get replaced and sat with a tender on it all night, I also did the test where you remove the battery cable and the idle went up a bit, so that was my indication that the alt was good but then on my morning commute the next morning I got about 3 miles from home and started losing power on the hills of downtown Seattle no less! I'm wondering if there could be something shorting out the alternator somewhere. If so, any ideas where to start looking? I tried checking fuses and didn't find anything.

Comment

I fought with this issue for a long time. Turned out to be the neg battery cable disintegrated inside the insulation.

You can also check and replace the various ground cables inside the engine bay.

Also consult the yahoo forum.

Comment

Terry hit it with the grounds. Clean them good and then add a few more from the battery to the motor and chassis.
            Clay

Comment

I got it! Thank you guys so much for the input. I searched the yahoo group like BFMRGTX suggested, found someone with a similar problem and it turned out I wasn't tightening the alt belt enough! I feel like a huge idiot for all the time and money I spent trying to figure that out. I am sitting just above 13 at idle with headlights on and jump up to 13.6-13.7 when I rev it. I'm so happy! Time to invest in the new cables though just to make sure it's working as well as it can. I'm grinning ear to ear.

Thanks again!
              Jeremy

Comment

Working...
              X