ZX2 struts... to soft??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZX2 struts... to soft??

I got my ZX2 struts in from OEM fordparts in texas .... the problem being tho.... the struts are very very soft... it doesn't take much pressure to make them bottom out... My KYB ones provide much more of a resistance than these struts whats the deal with that. everybody out there who has had experience with them ... what are your opinions....
    P.S. > they will be matched up with MX3 H&R springs
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

If you got the "Sport springs", the softness of the strut will make up for it. My ride doesnt feel like stock suspension, much stiffer, but still has its comfort.
    James G.
    sobe83@yahoo.com
    AIM: DVS 323BPT
    MySpace
    Cardomain
    <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Compared to stock, the ZX2 struts are much stiffer. If I recall correctly, some people were even complaining that they are too stiff. Not sure how the ZX2 struts compare to the KYB's in stiffness. Are the ZX2 struts installed yet?
      -------------------------
      '91 LX
      '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
      well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

did you call the company or did you order online? i got paid yesterday and im ready to buy

if you did call, what did you ask for, the zx2 struts and the bearings?
        Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
          did you call the company or did you order online? i got paid yesterday and im ready to buy

if you did call, what did you ask for, the zx2 struts and the bearings?
          Yup, just ask for the zx2 struts and the bearings. I think that Theresa Valley is the sales person so talk with her. She'll know exactly what you want as many have ordered from her before. These are the phone numbers:
          1-800-256-7933
          817-596-5700 (parts)

Just in case you need it, the bearing part # is F8CZ18198AAA
          '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
            Yup, just ask for the zx2 struts and the bearings. I think that Theresa Valley is the sales person so talk with her. She'll know exactly what you want as many have ordered from her before. These are the phone numbers:
            1-800-256-7933
            817-596-5700 (parts)

Just in case you need it, the bearing part # is F8CZ18198AAA
            can u use them with stock springs?
            Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
              can u use them with stock springs?
              You can do it but I can't tell how the ride is going to be. However, this will be the perfect time to get yourself some lowering springs and finish off the whole combo. You'll be much happier with the outcome that way. If your plan is to get springs later, then wait on the struts also. Do it all at once and save some time and $$ for the alignment.
              '91 LX

Comment

sounds like they are not installed yet, if thats the case, don't worry, they require a fast "push" to offer some resistance.

I can say they are definetely stiffer than stock and the MX3 H&Rs are definetely stiffer than Eibachs.

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                  You can do it but I can't tell how the ride is going to be. However, this will be the perfect time to get yourself some lowering springs and finish off the whole combo. You'll be much happier with the outcome that way. If your plan is to get springs later, then wait on the struts also. Do it all at once and save some time and $$ for the alignment.
                  well my front struts i have now are completely dead. i need struts now, but ive only got about $260 to spend at the moment
                  Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                    I got my ZX2 struts in from OEM fordparts in texas .... the problem being tho.... the struts are very very soft... it doesn't take much pressure to make them bottom out... My KYB ones provide much more of a resistance than these struts whats the deal with that.
                    I know this will sound hard to believe, but it's impossible to accurately gauge a shock absorber's firmness by pushing in on it. A shock absorber's damping characteristics are directly related to both the speed and force of the compression it receives and there's no way to simulate how a shock absorber will behave by the slow and weak compression a human can achieve as compared to what the car will experience going down the road.
                    On my Miata, I have a set of custom-valved Koni adjustable shocks which are much stiffer than the KYB GR-2s on my Protege, even at the softest adjustment settings. Nonetheless, the Konis ride a lot smoother than the KYBs do, except when the adjustments are turned way up. The Konis keep the motion of the car much more tightly controlled than the KYBs on the Pro do; the way they go about doing this is very complicated. The reasons for this are way too complex to explain in depth, but it comes down to this: shocks behave differently over different types of bumps at different compression speeds, and this behavior itself varies from one brand and/or model of shock to another or even as a given shock wears.
                    Even if I'd wanted to spend almost $400 per shock for the Protege, I still wouldn't want a set of Konis like those on my Miata for street driving- the adjustment range is too radical for street use but works well when autocrossing. A truly stiff shock doesn't necessarily mean that it will work well in all applications. The job of the shock absorber is to damp the motion of the car, not necessarily stiffen the ride- that should be the springs' job. Standard off-the-shelf performance shocks such as those for the ZX2 are likely fine for aftermarket springs unless the springs are seriously stiff. If the shocks are not correct for a given spring, you'll notice a bouncy ride, just like you see in a car with lowering springs and factory shocks.
                    Don't forget to align the car after you're done putting in the new parts!
                    Chris
                    Last edited by chrisf; 02-24-2004, 10:21 PM.
                    '91 Protege LX
                    '99 Miata sport

Comment

Shocks/struts are not supposed to keep the car from bottoming out or supposed to be really hard to "push down" or compress. That's the job of the springs.

Struts are there to control the rate of how the springs compress and then rebound from that compression.

Comment

i think my zx2's are valved too soft, but i don't care, as long as they don't wear out in 6 months, and so far they've lasted 1.5 years on these GC's.
                        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

i just got off the phone with the nice lady, everything was $214.00 shipped, but im so excited!!!! this is the first real non OEM part ive ever put on my car, 'cept fot the K&N filter. now i just wonder how theyll run with stock springs.
                          Serenity's Dead.

Comment

I really hope you guys are not complaining when the struts are like what 210 bucks ... shipped (what kiddx paid ) .... for gods sake that's great
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                              I really hope you guys are not complaining when the struts are like what 210 bucks ... shipped (what kiddx paid ) .... for gods sake that's great
                              I know the 323 will like them
                              '91 LX

Comment

Working...
                              X