Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88' GTX for sale needs valves is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88' GTX for sale needs valves is it worth it?

I have recently found a 88' GTX for sale in my area and here is the discription and i wanted to know how much do you think its worth.

This is the work that is listed:

new cams, rebuilt distributor, freshly rebuilt bybrid vj11/vj14 turbo, head was just machined, but valves were not done, new cams, new timing belt and camshaft seals, new kometic head gasket and ARP head studs. motor doesnt leak anything. The car ran great but after a while the valves finally went. All it needs is set of valves and it will be a fun little car again.

How hard would it be to find a set of valves and how much money am i looking at to repair it. The body has little rust spots but nothing major and i dont know about the interior.

I have searched forever on here and else where to buy a set of valves and im having no luck.

Any info is well appreciated.

Hard to say. I'd probably go for it, but are you sure it just needs valves? What symptoms does it have? Swapping a good head on the engine would be easy enough. If the rings are done, it's going to need the engine pulled. A clean chassis still holds some value.
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

here is the link i sent him an email asking for further information about the car. i asked to get better resolution pictures inside and outside of the car i also asked about the gearbox and drivetrain.

Comment

both rear spoilers are still intact and if i purchased i will take them off as i dont like the design and probably sell them on here.

Comment

thats been on CL forever. me and The Pile are always talking about it.

we both doubt there is actually valve damage. but we both agreed it would only be worth it if we just tossed a BP in it. that entire motor is just to questionable. and valves dont just fail like the seller thinks.
          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
          What are you driving?

Comment

yeah exactly i remember him posting it before and saying the linkage with the trans broke. he doesn't seem to know much about it. So I am scared the damage is far worse then what he described.

Comment

it probably is. but like i said. its a great donor if your willing to swap a good running bpt in there.

me and scott were talking about doing the unforgivable, and KL swapping it just to piss people off. lol
              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
              ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
              What are you driving?

Comment

hahaha omg a kl would be an ultimate troll. I dont know about the rust though...kind of scared how much is hiding

Comment

thats any mazda in the midwest though. lol
                  ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                  What are you driving?

Comment

very true. If i did put a BPT swap. What gas mileage am i expecting to get ? and does the tranny bolt right up? kind of lazy to search and look.

Comment

You can easily get over 30 mpg, tranny bolts up, jack shaft needs the bearing mount modified.
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

My bpt is averaging 24 mpg right now with winter gas. It was averaging 30 in the summer.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

How much does modification for the mount run. Is it possible for me to do it myself? Also wht HP are u putting on the ground?

Comment

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...367#post734367

I don't know your skill level, but it doesn't look to hard.

I'm just running a VJ20, pretty maxxed out. I'm somewhere around 200 WHP.
                            sigpic
                            1992 Familia GT-X
                            1988 323 GTX
                            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Doesn't looks that complicated and with 200 HP and low curb weight I'm sure its rather quick

Comment

Working...
                              X