GB: 5th gear plate mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GB: 5th gear plate mod

OLD PRICING FROM 2012 GROUP BUY BELOW. FOR 2014 GROUP BUY PRICING SEE POST #95.

I've had some interest from guys over at Probetalk and Fordfestiva about my 5th gear plate mod piece for the G-series transmissions. So, this is your chance to get one. The plate will be $300, down to $285 for more than 3. Send me a bare/clean center case and I'll machine and install the plate for another $125. Shipping not included in the prices.

Details:
    - Group buy will close March 31, 2012.
    - $150 deposit required by March 31, 2012. Not refundable after March 31, 2012.
    - If you want me to machine the center case and install the plate, I must have it by March 31, 2012.
    - I will keep track of all the center cases. You will get the same one back that you sent me, in the same packaging. If you send it to me wrapped in brown paper, then that's how you'll get it back...
    - I want clean cases. Spend a few dollars on a can of brake cleaner, purple superclean, etc.
    - I expect to ship them out within 3 weeks at which point final payment will be due.
    - I will accept money orders or paypal(+3.5% = $155.25 for deposit). Paypal address is same as my email: ferdi <at> ferdster (dot) com.
    - I have only fit this on 2wd boxes and have no idea if they fit on the 4wd gtx/gtr transmissions. I think there are a couple differences, but I don't have a 4wd case to measure.

If you are not a member of Clubprotege, you can email me directly at ferdi <at> ferdster (dot) com.

This is not a discussion of how weak the G-series box is. Everybody knows the case and gears are made of glass, lol. Yes, the Toyota E153 is better and that's why I run one now. But, from what I know, the E153 wont fit in a Festiva and the Probe KL guys are short the adapter plate - not mentioning the extensive fabrication required to fit it. I make no guarantees that this will keep your box from blowing up. But, PAR sells a similar product for over $650 without installation.

I recommend that you check the endplay/preload on the shafts/diff. I have seen a few that have been out of spec, probably from the outer bearing races spinning and wearing down the aluminum.

The plate will look exactly like the one pictured here:

--Ferdi

NAME MACHINE CASE
    PAYMENT RECEIVED
    shorestiva (Joseph) no Full
    boltz (Chris #1) received Full
    thered56 (Eric) received Full
    Hot_Wheels (Rick) no Full
    mac1 (Mike) no Full
    Jeff (teamzx2) received Full
    projectb10 (Chris #2) no (New Zealand) Full
    Last edited by ftjandra; 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM.
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

I'm in if it can be verified for 4wd fitment.
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

This does interest me but I gotta focus my cash flow towards finishing up my festiva

Even after this group buy, could we contact you for an individual order?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
        I'm in if it can be verified for 4wd fitment.
        The only way for me to verify fitment/modify the plate is for someone to send me a 4wd case.

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
        This does interest me but I gotta focus my cash flow towards finishing up my festiva

Even after this group buy, could we contact you for an individual order?
        I will probably make a few extras, but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to do individual runs in the future. Every few months someone asks me about the plate and I have pretty much been turning them down every time. This time the Festiva and the Probe guys contacted me within a few weeks of each other, so I figured I could do a groupbuy and hopefully get everyone who wants one satisfied.

--Ferdi
        If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
        -----

Comment

Fair enough, I'll see how the cash flow goes and I'll see if I can get in on the buy

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I will be in on this guaranteed as my machinest is building a KL/SBF/Vitara block so I have no choice. but I must tell you i'm a bit of a procrastinator. This week i'm doing some 3.85 goodness I learned off your awsome site, now all the sudden I need to buy a hydraulic press to swap the gears out.
            Last edited by mac1; 01-17-2012, 08:55 PM.
            1993 Mercury Tracer, KLDE VItara build swap, Compound turbos, 12 injectors, 2 wastegates, 2 Megasquirts, 2 axles, 2 everything, why not

2nd Compounded KL in the world

Comment

Well, how beneficial to stock gears and shafts i dont know. I plan to replace my PAR bearing cups with this... I already have the PAR full gearset, shafts, Ring gear and LSD.

I'm in Ferdi. As we were discussing on email.

Chris

Comment

interested.

1992 MX-3 GS - KLZE
                1997 Probe GT

Its not a BP05.... Its a BPOS... BIG PIECE OF ****

Comment

Can you describe the machine work necessary on the case? I assume the bearings will now be in the plate, and not aluminum.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Can you describe the machine work necessary on the case? I assume the bearings will now be in the plate, and not aluminum.
                    Yes, the bearings are in the plate. The case needs the end milled down until the 'lips' that hold the bearings in are gone, the bearing bores enlarged, and eight holes drilled and tapped.

--Ferdi
                    -----

Comment

How precise does the bearing bore enlargement have to be? Just enough to fit the plate through?
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

interested pending my end of month finances.

slightly OT: how hard would an insert be for the other side to? obviously not in this particular GB
                        Last edited by MD323; 01-17-2012, 10:47 PM.
                        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

It should be likely +- 0.001 a nice light slip fit... Ferdie answers?

It is quite precise otherwise the shafts wont be aligned if the plate is not aligned by something.

The install is not a DIY issue... you need a machine shop with a milling maching + tooling to bore the holes and end mill the case.

And i will say, that Ferdie's price for the case machine work is quite reasonable... so is the end plate.

Comment

How precise does the bearing bore enlargement have to be? Just enough to fit the plate through?
                            Very precise. On my installs, the plate will be a light press fit, i.e. rubber mallet. The bores need to be both the right diameter and also exactly concentric with the stock bores. Otherwise the plate might fit, but the bolt holes not line up.

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                            slightly OT: how hard would an insert be for the other side to? obviously not in this particular GB
                            I've had people asking me about the bellhousing reinforcement plate, but at this point, I am not planning on making them. The one I made for me, I just cut out the basic shape using a jigsaw and then used a die grinder until it fit with as small gaps as possible. The welding distorted the case that I had to go back in and re-machine the secondary bearing cup round again, but maybe my welding guy just sucked. Also, you need to make sure that there is enough clearance to the pressure plate - I know Hot_Wheels had some issues and had to get a different pressure plate.

Actually, on second thought, if someone sends me a cardboard template, I could get the basic shape waterjet cut for fairly cheap. You would still need to do the final fitting though.

--Ferdi
                            -----

Comment

Having straight cut gears, the diff gears i have are helical, but at less angle than stock. I wont have as much thrust force so maybe not as much need to reinforce the bell housing?

Comment

Working...
                              X