Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new guy in town

Hey guys, how ya doin'?!?

Just bought myself a 1997 Protegé LX touring edition... which was, in that year, the highest model available in Québec for sales... we never got mazdaspeed here, except for gen3...

It came with the 1.8L, 5 speed tranny, full electric interior, A/C, and all the good stuff... it's fast enough, but I'm surprised how much gas it guzzles ... I used to own a 88 civic with a 2000 Si engine and ran it to the bone, and it never drank as much as this car... but who cares, now I have comfort...

Only thing I don't like is the hub caps... came with 14 inch 6 spoke caps... looks sport, but it ain't no alloys!! Ah... once the car is payed, they'll get installed...

Anyway, never thought much of mazda's until i drove this one... for sure VW and Honda are going down in my mind... only to be replaced by Mazda...

I don't have any pictures of it yet, I'll try to post some so that you can see what a 97 LX touring looks like... only pictures i have now are of my old civic...

Mazda. True performance.

Welcome...let's see pics when you get em.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Welcome to the club.
      I got a 97 TE as well, what colour is yours?? Mines dark blue.
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Welcome. You are one of few lucky guys here with 1.8 and 5-speed tranny. The rest of us here have 1.5L lawn mower.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

the colour is dark blue, although i see green metal flake in it when light reflects off of it... the dealer calls it green something... and it also has a wing on the trunk lid.

and the car is **** fast... for a stock: 16.5s/quarter... as fast as a 2001 Civic Si Vtec.

but this ain't fast enough... my old civic (88) went low 14 on quartermile... man I miss the springs and power, but one day a guy has to get something less childish as a car (refering to the hb civic) and grow up to a man's car...

Comment

I would say the color is Noble Green or Everglades .Welcome I have a Can LX also but it is auto so I can drink coffee and run through the gears at the same time.
            98 protege lx 1.8l
            short ram intake custom
            crane hi-6 ign.
            14 miata alloy wheels
            .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

The paint code on mine is 11n. Everghlades Mica.
              The "name" of the colour makes me think that it would be more of a green colour than blue but hey..........

Post your pics.
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

will bring back camera next week... pics to be posted soon... but still, the car is stock, had it for 3 weeks only and i have to pay it before spending cash on it...

it do not believe in rice, so true mods (susp, brakes, wheels, cam ajusts, headers...) will come later... everyone can put a p-flow in, but it ain't no cold air...

Comment

ah my friend.. Let EssentialSpeed take care of you.. Turbo's are in the works.. K Dawg and I have the 2 different versions of the Custom CAI that he makes too.. There may not be as many upgrades for this car as a civic, but everyone here knows where to get it all... Welcome.. Have you joined the Quebec Protege Club yet? We ( Toronto Protege Club " toprotege.com " ) Met up with them last July in Kingston.. Mostlikely do the same this year..
                  98 Protege SE
                  -------------------
                  1.5L Turbo

Comment

i got a 97 LX Lawnmower also Everglades Mica. Really Dark Blue/green

pics here

Last edited by Calibur; 02-24-2004, 08:34 PM. Reason: b/c i felt like ite

Comment

it is that everglade colour indeed.

yes i'm on protégé québec...

Comment

Bonjour! Salut! I am K Dawg! Welcome, if you have MSN, add me at kdawgone@hotmail.com
                        Also, come check my car at www.sounddomain.com/id/kdawgone
                        Oh, and Tim didnt give you the URL for ES...its www.essentialspeed.com

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                        1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                        Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

thanx man.

Comment

had an exam this afternoon about Excel... **** I hate excel... just hope the average is low, considering our grades are given in relation to the average... oh my god I hate excel...

only one thing left to do... DRINK A GOOD COLD CANADIAN BEER!!!!!!!

Comment

Hey, I'm a little late, but Welcome!
                              I envy you, man. You have a BP AND a 5-speed. I am in the early stages of swapping my 1.5L engine with the BP (1.8L), so hopefully sooner than later I'll be up there with you (in the 16's). See you around. BTW, if you wanna see pics of my car click here.

Comment

Working...
                              X