Cant get brake pads out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get brake pads out?

Aight, I finally figured out how to do my rear brakes. I got the right side no problem. Now the rear left side, I removed the 10mm lower caliper bolt, backed out the piston with the allen wrench. But I still cant get the caliper to rotate upwards so I can get my old pads out. Anyone have any advice on how to get them out? THanks
    Eat ****.

Not to be an ass but I have done this...... is the ebrake on?

If not, have you tried some wd40 or some other solvent to slide the caliper off?

If the piston is still pushing and its causing the problem you might try clamping the brake line and then bleeding the caliper to ensure the piston is all the way in.

Did you do alot of high speed braking before? The reason why I ask is that maybe you glazed the pads over and they stuck to the caliper.?.?.?.?.? thats my best guess. Anyone else?

I take my pads out of my calipers thru the top. I just remove the 2 pins and the spring clip and then slide them out the top and then drop in the new ones. This is on my 323, and the caliper is a bit larger and different if memory serves so it might be different. This is just how I do it.

I am no brake expert I am just trying to throw ideas out.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

NAw the e brake is not on. i did that with the other side. No high speed braking or anything like that. I can back the piston all the way back. And move the pads around in side the caliper. But I just cant open the caliper up. Im gonna try the wd40 tomorrow. I got a caliper spreader from the parts store the other day, so Im gonna give that a try to. Thanks for the suggestions!
      Eat ****.

Comment

oh oh, i know what it is.....

did you remove the inner metal sleeve from the lower caliper mounting point? I bet thats whats hanging you up

Comment

nope i sure didnt. What is that? How do I remove it? I dont remember doing that on the other side??
          Eat ****.

Comment

mine did the same thing once, my mechanic had to take an air ram to it...
            Serenity's Dead.

Comment

There are metal sleeve inserts that the calpier bolts slide through. some times they can shift when removing the bolt and catch on the bottom part of the caliper frame and not let the caliper swivel up. Mine are easy to remove (no rust in cali) but keep em lubed. A pry bar wedged in there will slide it back into the caliper mount and the caliper will be free once again.

Just a hunch, but i'm pretty sure thats all thats holding it back.

Comment

Sweet, If it dosent snow tonight, imma have at it tomorrow. Thanks
                Eat ****.

Comment

Working...
                X