ECU chip upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU chip upgrade

Looking for an upgrade for my '02 Protege LX. Hear MP3 chips are a good start, but don't know where to look for them. Also Jet Performance can custom program my chip for $399, but that sounds like a lot, and I'd have to have it reprogrammed after a few more mods to optimize performance anyway.
    2002 Protege LX
    ] Eibach Pro Springs [] Tokico HP shocks [] AWR rear swaybar [] PIAA Super Plasma GT-X [] custom CAI [] 30% all-around tints [] 17" Flik Wasps / Kumho Ecsta 711 tires [] APC Eurotails [

Originally posted by Unleashed
    Looking for an upgrade for my '02 Protege LX. Hear MP3 chips are a good start, but don't know where to look for them. Also Jet Performance can custom program my chip for $399, but that sounds like a lot, and I'd have to have it reprogrammed after a few more mods to optimize performance anyway.
    $399 is dirt cheap compared to what you'd have to pay for an MP3 ECU!
    Personal 1/4 mile: 57 sec @ 14 mph
    Haven't tried with the pro yet...

Comment

i bought a mp3 ecu from someone on the forum for $160 shipped.
      2003 Spicy MSP

2003 Mazda Protege5 - traded

2001 Mazda MP3 #1476 - sold

Comment

I have seen them on E-bay for sale-Ecu for around 150-180. Just have to look and catch one on there...
        "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

oops

Originally posted by Topher
          i bought a mp3 ecu from someone on the forum for $160 shipped.
          wow! Well, I guess I'm dumb... I just knew they were close to $1000 from the dealer. Never thought that someone would sell their own.

Comment

what kind of benefits do you get with an upgraded ECU? Just performance? Any electrical as a lot of people have problems with headlight dimming when their stereo is on (me included).
            2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
            KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
            Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
            Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
              what kind of benefits do you get with an upgraded ECU? Just performance? Any electrical as a lot of people have problems with headlight dimming when their stereo is on (me included).
              The MP3 ECU should give the 2.0L engines an extra 10hp.

Comment

10hp...but you have to run premium gas. you can usually find someone with a MP3 that's going turbo that'll trade with you. search around and see what you can find. i bought mine off a guy that totalled his MP3 and decided to part it out.
                2003 Spicy MSP

Comment

What about install? Shop or selfdoable with maybe a written guide?
                  2002 Protege LX
                  ] Eibach Pro Springs [] Tokico HP shocks [] AWR rear swaybar [] PIAA Super Plasma GT-X [] custom CAI [] 30% all-around tints [] 17" Flik Wasps / Kumho Ecsta 711 tires [] APC Eurotails [

Comment

Originally posted by Unleashed
                    What about install? Shop or selfdoable with maybe a written guide?
                    You should be able to do it no problem. I've attached a picture from the Mazda Service manual that shows you where the ECU (PCM in this case) is. Also look here <-- from Flyin' Protege
                    Attached Files

Comment

easy to do...it's under the carpet on the passenger side floorboard under a silver metal plate.
                      2003 Spicy MSP

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
                        Theoretically, you should see about 10hp. However, flyin' protege didn't realize this gain. You can see their test here: www.flyinprotege.com .

Comment

yeah don't buy a ecu from the dealer bro. That is just asking to get raped.

Also forget about the jet ecu. They are not worth anything. I highley doubt that anyone in the protege community has been dumb enough to send them their ecu.
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Esteban Toledo
                            Theoretically, you should see about 10hp. However, flyin' protege didn't realize this gain. You can see their test here: www.flyinprotege.com .
                            The MP3 ECU WILL NOT give you 10 horsepower.

There is more going on in the MP3 other than the ECU, and that is why the MP3 has 10 more horse.

I'm glad someone is showing the link for the dyno's at Flyin' Protege. That was my car that was used for half of the test.

The exhaust (its more than an axle back), the intake manifold (lack of VTCS) and the advanced timing all account for the extra power. The dyno clearly shows where the advanced timing kicks in (5000 rpm) and shows that it only really made about one to two horsepower over the Protege 5 ECU on my car, after 5000 rpm.
                            "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                            2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

So MP3 ECU not worth buying eh

Alright, I'll add more power by...... *drumroll*

buying the BuddyClub2 bodykit!!!

Yea Yea, kits are for kids, but I AM a kid (well, compared to most of the people here hehe)

Plus I'm never gonna be able to save up for the HiBoost Turbo Kit.

Ok, bye bye ECU upgrade...

and thanks to all of you for replying.
                              2002 Protege LX

Comment

Working...
                              X