Car and Driver April 2012 Road Test: Mazda 3i Touring Skyactiv, BL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car and Driver April 2012 Road Test: Mazda 3i Touring Skyactiv, BL

Situated between the older, conventional 2.0 L and the new 2.5 L engines, the SkyActiv outputs 155 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 148 lb/ft Torque @ 4,100 rpm. With the new 6-speed SkyActiv A/T, the EPA City/Hgwy rating is 28/40. This is an increase of 7 and 4 mpg respectively from last year's 2.0 L with the 5-speed A/T. With the standard 6-speed M/T that has been reworked into a smaller, lighter package with slightly shorter throws, the car forfeits 1 mpg in both cycles to the automatic, though it's up from 25/33 mpg with a 5-speed M/T in 2011. The M/T is said to be "crisp-shifting" and better than the 5-speed it replaces.

The C/D observed overall mpg was 29 (mixed driving with both A/T and M/T cars.

The chassis is slightly lighter and stiffer than that of its siblings with revised underbody bracing and additional spot welds. Its handling remains as good as ever according to the report.

Performance Data
    zero to 60 mph: 7.9 sec M/T; 8.3 sec A/T
    zero to 100 mph: 21.0 sec
    zero to 120 mph: 36.5 sec
    rolling start, 5 to 60 mph: 8.4 sec
    1/4 mile: 16 sec @ 89 mph
    top speed (governor limited):123 mph
    braking, 70 to 0 mph: 183 ft
    roadholding, 300 ft-dia skidpad: .81 g

Acceleration is faster than that of other fuel-economy specials such as the turbo charged Chevrolet Cruze Eco and the lighter Hyundai Elantra.

Prices start at US $19,495 for the manual and $850 more for the auto.

Zoom-Zoom.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

I'd like to see a skyactive Mazda 2, even if it received the same fuel economy numbers it would perform much better.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

I think the SkyActiv Demio, with a much smaller displacement engine, got some crazy numbers like 70 mpg. Of course that was recorded in Japan so they measure differently and then the conversion to miles/gallon... yeah, but still nuts.

Edit: It was 71 mpg (converted from liters/km) using Japan's 10-15 test cycle and 59 mpg (converted) using the JC08 test cycle. Here's the article:
      http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/06/demio-20110611.html

I don't think that's where I originally read it, but it's the same information.

Back on topic. I am glad that they'll be incorporating the new header into the Mazda3 and bumping compression a little more. I still prefer the 14:1 CR, I'd gladly pay for slightly higher octane gas just for the "My car runs at F1 compression and it's not a diesel" fact to throw in peoples faces, haha. Speaking of diesel, I can't wait for that to get here.
      Last edited by irishkev90; 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

not to be a debbie downer, but is this enough to choose over the toyota corolla/corporate cousin ford focus/honda civic? if one were to choose gas mileage as their primary choosing factor mazdas have traditionally been lower on the list. with hybrids and EVs gaining popularity, even with the premium price tag, driving dynamic has largely been lost to the general car-buying public.

Comment

Since this is an enthusiast's forum, I don't think ultimate gas mileage is the sole, or even the primary, factor in why any of us would buy a Mazda in preference to other cars. While fuel efficiency is always a desirable feature I don't think it's the defining one for enthusiasts of any marque.

I agree with you that the general car-buying public tends to treat automobiles more like an appliance - turn it on and it takes you from point A to point B - and that's all they want to know. While the general public has little interest in automotive technology per se, mpg and interior "stuff" may well be the deciding factors guiding their purchases.

It's well-known by our forum members that the 3 (and the Protege before it), is one of the best handling, and most reliable, cars of its class in stock form. This has been consistently recognized even by such non-enthusiast magazines as Consumer Reports. Almost certainly, these last two characteristics would outweigh sheer mpg as points to consider for most of us here.

Happy Motoring!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

More and more automakers are building cars with sportier driving dynamics. Mazda has always built sport cars and now that their fuel economy ratings are equal to or above most other vehicles in their categories, Mazda will once again have a fighting chance.

Judging strictly by fuel economy, the CX-5 beats everything in its class. So of that is the deciding factor, Mazda takes the win.

Comment

Working...
            X