88 323 GT Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 323 GT Sedan

Just bought this car from a member here, and I hope to continue making it better as he did.

As of now it has the following done by the PO/s:
    xr2 b6t - new wp and gaskets
    glass egt sunroof
    jdm grill and badges
    act street clutch and pp
    hks j pipe
    hks turbo timer
    2.5 in dp back exhaust (dynomax resonator and magnaflow muffler)

For now my plans are to put in some fresh struts(needs it bad), new wheels(have Drag DR-9s to go on), and swap the vj14 with an AiResearch M10(T3 42/48) to bump up the spool and broaden the curve.

Further on down the road, there are also other ideas I have, but I take baby steps.
    Last edited by sketchman; 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM.

Took the front struts out to find the new ones use different mounts than the Tokico adjustables. So now I'm waiting for parts again, and a rare sunny day is wasted. Woopee. Oh well. I should have researched first, I know, but I would never have dreamed that would happen.

Comment

Nice looking ride.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Thanks. Hopefully it'll look better soon sitting on the ground again. Jackstands ain't no fun.

Comment

New to me T3 compliments of Chrysler. Spins freely and gives me a .48 hot side. Just needs cleaning and installing, along with removing all the extra junk on it. Who needs EGR? Will most likely move to an external WG and custom down tube as well.

Last edited by sketchman; 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Stripped down the turbo, ordered a 40mm wastegate, and will have B6T exhaust manifold and T3 flanges ordered today too. Then it'll be time to build my 1st manifold.

Can't wait.

Comment

Did some research on the turbo and found it uses a Chrysler specific hot side mount. Woopee again.

However, if no one has bothered to check it before, you don't really need the special flange that costs $30+shipping from a specialty website, or to cut your own, OR to swap the turbine housing for a normal one. The port on the inlet of the turbine housing matches up just fine with a standard T3 flange. You just have to redrill all the holes in the flange on the turbine inlet. Just 4 holes and a few minutes lets one use a standard Fleebay T3 flange for $12.50 shipped. Works for me.

Comment

Why not just use a hybrid IHI vj14/11 or a straight vj11. Both are bolt ons and will do what you are looking for. That thing looks like a nightmare...not trying to be mean here.

Comment

+2 on the VJ14/11 or full VJ11. If you want a turbo the same size or bigger than that chrysler T3 do a VJ11 w/ a Tbird compressor, and that will bolt right up
                  1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                  1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                  www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Our junkyards are a joke here. They think they're selling gold, and we have no PNP style yards near here, so I'm limited.

Anybody have spare vj11s with tbird comps lying around?

Comment

I pieced mine together from turbos I purchased on eBay, same deal with the junkyards here for me
                      1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                      1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                      www.werbatfik.com

Comment

I looked around a little on eBay(probably not long enough), but I really wasn't finding much of anything. The Chry T3 just happened to pop up on another forum for cheap so I grabbed it. Honestly, the only thing tricky is the flange on the hot side, and it's not THAT tricky. I want to do my own manifold anyway, so I don't mind it.

Also, moving to the T3 footprint might not be such a bad idea later on as the cars with VJs to pick from get older and more scarce, I think.
                        Last edited by sketchman; 03-23-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Man, they tried their best to make it hard on a fella. The whole strut assembly is different between the models. Grrr.
                          Ran to the hardware store to get washers to make the new strut mounts work with the old spring hats, and they had no metric sizes. Yeah, I live in the boonies. So I had to sit there with a dremel and burr and grind the holes out to fit.

Was worth it, though. Got the fronts done today, and at this point I've been awake for 2 days, so I'll get pics when the rears are done too. "Should" be easier.

Manifold flange was ordered, wastegate is here, and I'm quite sleepy now.

More pics when I get something worth showing.

Comment

Got a minty old RX7 steering wheel coming to replace the Grant that came with the car. Will have a FS post for it up soon. Anyone wants it before then PM me.
                            Wastegate fitting, manifold and T3 flange are here. Still waiting on mandrel bends to do the manifold and then the fun begins.

Comment

Coil-over springs ordered, and a pair of rear GR2s. 200 F, and 180 R should be nice. Gotta start getting pics soon. Wheels have been on for a while, and some cool stuff is sitting collecting dust for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X